_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Model of the Month (MOM) August 2006
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
Post your entries for the MOM for August here.

Please read the following.
1. Do not forget to add information about the model, voters will be encouraged to check this out before voting and it may influence their vote. New.......please put the info about your model in one place. I will only copy the first set of information to put in the gallery, so if you add a piece before each picture only the first part (above the first pic) will be copied.
2. Only post 3 pics, no composites and no pics of real aircraft (even for comparison)
3. Any model of an aircraft, from any era in any scale is eligible
4. Entry will be open until the 15th
5. NEW Your pics MUST be a maximum of 750 pixels wide. (if you aren't able to alter the size then send them to me and I can do it for you. Alternatively I may be able to copy the pic, size and replace it. Any pics over this size will have to be deleted (I do not want to have to do this)
6. Also, Please comply with this
Please rename your pics using a number followed by your CALLSIGN. By this I mean the file name, this is because:
a. When I copy the pics into a folder on my hard drive I have to copy them with the original filename (so I can't change them when I copy them)
b. So that they stay together in the gallery and so that I don't have to name each pic and so they appear in the order in which they were posted I have to re-name each pic with the member’s callsign. You may imagine what it's like trying to get the 3 pics from each member together (50-60 pics in total with all sorts of file names and some not matching their mates).
A further explanation: When you take the pic it will be given a file name, by the camera. When you open the pic on your PC, right click on it and choose "change name" change the name of the pic to a number (001) followed by your Callsign (Holdfast). the pic is now re-named 001Holdfast (or your number and callsign) .
So if you use a file name that begins with a number and has your Callsign you will save me about 2 hours work

For example my 3 pics could be 001Holdfast, 002Holdfast and 003Holdfast. I hope this is clear

Lets see if we can get an even better turn out this month and for the coming year.

Entry will close on the 15th or 16th and I will start the voting thread as soon as possible after that.

There will be a prize to the winning entry of a "Harricature," a caricature of that entry drawn by Harri (Jetprovost), see thread about this HERE

Mal
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Academy, 1/48, Hawker Hunter F.6.
Built OOB. Alclad 2 Aluminium for the underside and Xtracylics for the camoflage. markings are for No 65 Squadron, Royal Air Force, 1960.
Thanks for looking.
Andy

Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
Matchbox 1/32nd Bf-109E. Used photo etch in the cockpit and small bits of PE on the exterior but mostly built out of the box. Sand filter is scratch built. Painted with Modelmaster enamels. Eagle Strike decals for the Afrika Korps markings. The camo is patterned after an aircraft serving with 1/JG 27 in WWII North Africa.

smithery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Entry #1

1/32 Trumpeter F4F-4 Wildcat. I added the Grand Phoenix resin/PE cockpit set, and used Super Scale decals to depict Machinist Donald Runyon's VF-6 mount aboard the USS Enterprise in 1942. All paints are Gunze acrylic. Weathered with the Tamiya Weathering Master sets.

smithery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC
Entry #2

1/32 CF-104. Built using the Hasegawa F-104G/S ';World Starfighter' kit, to which I added a True Details resin cockpit set, CAM resin C-2 ejection seat (instead of the TD item), PWMP wing pylons and centreline SUU-21, Cobra Company rocket launcher (modified), and finally Leading Edge decals to depict a participant of the TAM'80 Weapons Meet. All paints are Gunze acrylic. Weathered with the Tamiya Weathering Master sets.

Removed by original poster on 08/03/06 - 22:17:17 (GMT).
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:30 PM UTC
Here we go again in the quest for a "harricature"
This is the 1:72 Airfix Spitfire MK1.I dropped the elevators but apart from that its OOB.Decals are a mixture of the kit decals and ones from the spares box.Sprayed with Tamiya acrylics and Humbrol enamels.Water colour washes and pastel dust stains.Paint chippings are a combination of an Alclad undercoat and silver pencil.
A review of the build can be found HERE
Finished to represent a Spitfire of 234 Sqn RAF,based at Middle Wallop in August 1940.The photos come complete with authentic English August sunshine,albeit 66 years later
Best of luck everyone!

Nige
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 01:21 AM UTC
We seem to have a pretty poor turnout, so far, this month, so what can we do to encourage more entries?
Well I will be entering, I finished my entry at 21.00pm last night but took it to a show so I will have to wait until tomorrow to photograph it. That still leaves a poor turnout..................can anyone suggest anything......................
Well yes Rowan, apparently feeling guilty for winning last month has been out and bought this
to donate to the winner of this months MOM, thanks Rowan.
Hoping that this will spur on a few more entries I will leave this entry thread open until the 16th, so get those entries in
Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi guys. This is my entry for MOM August. This is the Hasegawa 1/48 Hs 129B-2. It was built out of the box using ModelMaster paints and EagleCal decals. Weathering was done with a raw umber wash with paint chipping on the plane done with blackgray paint and ModelMaster chrome silver toned down with raw umber oil paint on the prop blades. The antenna was made with stretched sprue that was made taught by holding a burnt out match underneath. The base was made with a piece of foam insulation cut to shape with a jigsaw. The groundwork is cat litter sprinkled on over a layer of diluted white glue and then airbrushed with dark earth. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:11 AM UTC
My MOM entry: Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk I
- Cutting Edge Superdetailed Cockpit used (pic #3). Great addition.
- Elevators cut and repositioned
- Paints are a combo of polyscale and tamiya.
- Codes "EQJ" masked and painted on.
- Stencils are dry transfers, decals are aeromaster
- Antennae is smoke colored monofilament
- Weathering: polyscale 'sludge' wash, chipping with silver colored pencil, exhaust airbrushed

I received quite a bit of help from members during the build - Thanks again to all of them, and thanks everyone for looking.
Leon

john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hi all:

This is my first entry into the MoM contest. I'm very happy to participate in what has proven to be a showcase of some real modeling talent.

Here's my entry:

Tamiya 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. I
Built OOB except for the landing gear cover which I had to scratchbuild because I lost one of them. Antenna were made from stretched clear sprue. Paints are a combination of Polly Scale and Tamiya. Weathering was done using Tamiya Weathering Master sets, CMK & MMP pigments, and a combo of Polly Scale aluminum, and a soft silver pencil for the chipping effects.

It sure looks like the Spitfires are making a name for themselves this month! lol

Good luck everyone!

John

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 01:48 AM UTC
My entry this month is Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito Mk VI.
1. The cockpit is Aires resin. The rest of the kit is OOB, apart from:
a. Some wheel well, radiator detail and the carburetter ice guards, which came from an Eduard etched fret.
b. The pito tube, on the fin, which is made from telescoping stainless tube.
c. The brake lines, made from stretched sprue and wire.
2. The model is painted using a white plastic primer and W.E.M. Colourcoates enamel paints, plus Allclad II, for the metallic parts. The Allclad is painted onto the metallic parts, after the primer is applied, then over painted with the camouflage colours. The undersurface medium sea grey is pre-shaded with ocean grey then masked off using Tamiya tape. The upper surfaces were sprayed, free hand, in ocean grey and dark green using these colours for pre-shading.
3. Selected areas were weatherd, to reveal the underlying metallic areas. This was done very selectively and mainly around the radiators and engine cowlings.
4. 2 coates of Klear (Future in the US) were hand brushed on prior to applying the kit decals, then another coat of Klear was brushed on.
5. An oil wash, thinned with turpintine, consisting of Davey Grey on the undersurfaces and Davey Grey and Madder Brown on the upper surfaces, was applied.
6. Exhaust and cordite staining was added using Colourcoates "Tyre Black"
7. A matt coate was then applied using Windser and Newtons Galleria Matt acrylic Medium. (Thanks Rowan, wonderful stuff)
8. Further weathering, to simulate oil and grease staining was added using neat Davey Grey, applied with a tooth pick and "dragged back" to remove most of it, but leaving a stain, with a cotton bud. Again this is done with a subtle approach.
9. The bombs were painted with a dark green tail assembly and a deep bronze green body. Fill bands consisting of light green, which denotes HE (High Explosive) and red, on the nose, which donotes "filled", were wasked and painted on. The arming propellers were moved so they were in different orrientation and painted steel.

Mal
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
My entry for the August MoM is the excellent Tamiya F4U-1A built-up with only a pair of resin "weighted" wheels from True Details used as aftermarket accessories. This is one of my favorite Tamiya kits..it's a gem!

This project models the machine of Squadron CO Tommy "Big Hog" Blackburn of VF-84, The "Jolly Rogers"....baddest-assed squadron in the history of the U.S. Navy. (The "Black Sheep" were Marines!). Enjoy....!!

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 08:49 PM UTC
This is Tamiya's 1/48 F4U-1a. It was built mainly OOB except for the whip aerial made from stretched sprue and decals from my decal bank (the roundels and bars were actually cobbled together from seperate decals, US stars and bars and British roundels). It was painted with Xtracrylix and some areas were lightly airbrushed a lighter shade to show fading. Paint chipping was done with humbrol silver mixed with grey oil paint and the wash was done with a mix of black and brown oils thinned with white spirit.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 01:33 AM UTC
OK, entry is now closed, I will activate the voting thread tomorrow, best of luck everyone
Mal
 _GOTOTOP