_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
"Soccer War" kits progress (finally)
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 05:23 AM UTC
I finished applying the markings to the three remaining "Soccer War" aircraft today.

The HobbyCraft FG-1D kit's decals were unusable, so I masked and painted them instead. There are no decals on this one, only paint. The metallic finish is a few different shades of Alcad II. This one is as it appeared pre-war, in about 1961. Some have questioned the color, but this is the scheme my customer wants. Besides, I enjoyed the accomplishment of prepping the HC kit for a metal finish.

I think that a black anti-glare panel would be appropriate for this one. I've asked my customer, and I'm awaiting his reply.

The roundels and stripes on the Mustang are also masked and painted. Only the small "FAS" markings on the wings are decals. I'll be repainting the wheel wells aluminum on this one. The camo was sprayed freehand, using Gunze acrylics.

Last is the Hasegawa F4U-5N Corsair. This one is all decals. The ones on the wingtips don't quite cover the edges. If I can't match the paint exactly, I'll be masking and painting these also. There are small stars on the sheet, in case I need to redo the white. This Yikes !was painted with Model Master enamel Dark Sea Blue, and the anti-glare panel is White Ensign enamel Mitsubishi Cowl Blue-Black.

Now to work on 24 rockets. Yikes !
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:31 AM UTC
They're all looking great! I have a hard enough time working on one at a time. Don't see how you can do multiples and keep everything straight!

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 04:23 AM UTC
They are looking great Bill.
I do believe that is the first Corsair i have seen in NMF, so who cares if its maybe wrong, it looks good.
The Mustang with that camo pattern looks fantastic, some very nice airbrush work.
Will you be weathering the F4U-5N Corsair, as I ( personally ) think they always look better beaten up :-) .
Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
Looking fabulous Bill.
I especially like the spray job on the mustang.Very impressive.
Question for you,how do you go about masking and spraying the roundels?,,please dont tell me you do this freehand as well!! :-)
Nige
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 01:10 PM UTC
Thanks Doug, Andy, and Nigel !

Doug - it's not that difficult to keep everything straight. I keep the parts, instructions, decals, and kit in their separate boxes. If I have things that I'm going to paint the same color on two or more of them, I paint them together and let them dry in their respective boxes. As long as you keep it organized, it's a pretty natural thing to do (for me, at least).

Andy - yes, my customer wants them all weathered, except for the NMF Corsair. The F4U-5N's paint will be faded and worn. I just need some more photos of real aircraft to get the effect correct. I don't want it to look preshaded, since I couldn't justify paint fading less towards the panel lines. I want it to look logical, not "gimmicky."

Nigel - here's how I made the masks for the roundels:
1. Hold a draftsman's circle template over the decals to determine the diameter of the whole disc.
2. Place Scotch "frosty" tape over the opening (use multiple pieces to span wider circles).
3. Pierce the taped side of the template with a new #11 blade, and let it glide along the circumference of the circle.
4. Remove the tape (with the clean hole) from the template, and "stick & lift" it on your palm to remove some of the tack.
5. Take the disc that was removed, and place it on the model where the roundel will go.
6. Place the tape with the hole around the disc, and remove the disc. You now have the mask in the proper place.
7. Add drafting tape around the mask to prevent overspray.
8. For this one, I sprayed the entire circle cutout area white first. Spray several light coats to prevent leakage under the mask. You now have a solid white disc on the model's surface.

Here's how I made the "donut mask" in order to paint the blue:
1. As above, determine the size of the next largest circle (in this case, the outside diameter of the white ring), place tape over the mask, and carefully cut it with the #11 blade. It's easy to damage the disc that's spanning the template's hole, and this is the part you'll be using.
2. Once the disc is cut out and inspected for any irregularities, center it (by eye) over the hole in the template that matches the diameter of the inside disc (in this case blue).
3. Cut the center hole out of the disc, leaving you with a "donut" or ring-shaped mask.
4. To make it easier to see (and align) over the painted white disc on the model, I shot it with blue paint first. It's easy to align it by eye, as you would with a multi-part decal.
5. Once you're satisfied with it's position, shoot the blue paint.
6. Remove both the outside mask and the donut mask.
7. Repeat this procedure on the next position.

I only made three sets of roundel masks, since I needed three separate sizes. I have two color cups for my airbrush, and I loaded one with white paint and the other with blue. I have a large syphon bottle that filled with lacquer thinner so I could clean out the airbrush when I changed colors. Of course, if you made a separate mask for each position, you'd only need to change the color once (paint all the white discs first, add the donut masks, shoot thinner through the airbrush, then load & spray the blue).

Here's how I did the "FAS" masks:
1. Scan the decals, and print only the one you need on paper.
2. Place a wide piece of drafting tape over the paper (the tape I use is translucent).
3. Cut around the letters with a straightedge and sharp #11 blade.
4. Carefully align it on the model, and check it from all angles (as you would a decal) to make sure it's aligned.
5. Add extra masking around it and spray the paint. Use several light coats to prevent paint leakage.
6. Don't forget little things (like the triangle in the "A" or centers of "O"s, etc.)

Final step:
Have fun and enjoy the satisfaction of doing it yourself. It's really not as difficult as it looks, and practice will allow you to paint codes that aren't available, or done in the incorrect colors.

Thanks again !
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:13 PM UTC
I finished the washes and added the Dullcote. The metallics got a dark gray oil wash, and everything else was a mix of the base colors with black oil paint. The wingtip wash color on the Corsair came out a bit too dark, so I'll lightly overspray them with a thin coat of blue.

The Mustang will be "beat up" a little, so I tried to get the flatcoat as dull as possible.

I dullcoted the roundels and lettering, as well as the blue & white areas. I also chose a few panels, just to add a little more variation.

Still a bit of work remaining, but I'm nearing the end.
 _GOTOTOP