_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Little boy blue
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 10:31 AM UTC
Greetings all; I recently saw this on another website.

Then I went to an authority in the matter. Greg VanWyngarden of Datafile fame. His comments are presented here.
"Hi,
The model is obviously based on the photos and color profile in the superb book 'Guynemer - Les Avions d'un As' by Bernard Klaeylé and Philippe Osché, with the participation of Christophe Cony (Avions Magazine, Editions Lela Presse 1998, ISBN 2-9509485-6-1). These two authors are acknowledged and highly respected experts in the field of French WWI aviation, with Klaeylé being perhaps THE ultimate authority on French Nieuports (just ask Alan Toelle).

On page 116 they show a color profile of this Nieuport 11 N 836 "Vieux Charles II" from March 1916, in an overall light blue-gray color, and I wouldn't doubt their deductions. The profile is captioned "Avion entièremont bleu horizon" and the English version of the caption says "Overall blue-grey doped aeroplane." The engine cowling is shown as unpainted metal with "Le Vieux Charles" painted on the front surface in blue letters.

On page 104, the description of this aircraft says, in part: "L'avion est neuf et l'entoilage opaque indiquerait qu'il est recouvert d'un enduit coloré, vraisemblablement gris bleu clair". I'll let one of our French forumites translate that, better than give it a try myself - but the meaning is clear.

The aircraft does indeed seem to have an opaque appearance in the photos. Interestingly, another Nieuport 16 of Escadrille N62 on page 42 is camouflaged, and the caption says "Colors are thought to be green and brown sprayed over the former blue shade."

These authors really put a tremendous amount of painstaking research into their conclusions, and I-for one- am not prepared to dismiss their statements readily...Greg"
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 03:11 PM UTC
Great info, thanks for sharing Stephen!

Great model too!

I just bo8ugh the Nie. 11/17 double kit from eduard for less than 10 Euro .. like that colour, but I want the Nie. 11 to be a captured German plane (Leffers) so Guynemer will have to take his seat in the 17 ;-)

best wishes

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just bough the Nie. 11/17 double kit from eduard for less than 10 Euro ..

Hi Steffen!

Weniger als zehn Euros!!! How is that possible? It's still listed for 14.95 $ on Eduard's website, wich is a bargain price. But less than 10 €... that's really a good deal

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 04:32 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

one of my favorite online shops has a summer sale ... if you are interested:

http://www.moduni.de/actions.php/actions_id/181

lots of cheap stuff (esp. eduard) I do not know what european postage is, in Germany it is 3,90 € and above 60 Euro (wich I reached easily) none

I also got a HD 1, a Me 163 A, X-1 and some other stuff

cheers

Steffen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
Just a bit more folks.

Greg also added. "...Here's a bit more evidence from the highly acclaimed and respected book "René Dorme et Joseph Guiget, La Guerre aérienne de deux As" by Marc Chassard, Editions Aux Arts, page 167: "Nieuports type X, XI, XVI, and XVII, according to the time, have worn various colors. Initially clear-doped for types X and the first types XI built in 1915, the first coloured coatings appear at the end of the year. Some types XI produced at that time are described as being entirely light blue."

A photo of Guynemer's Nieuport XI No 836 on the same page is captioned: "This close-up view of Guynemer's XI N 836 shows that the aeroplane is covered with clear(claire - light) paint, scaled in places; an example of light blue Nieuports."
 _GOTOTOP