_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Brush painting
UNAMED
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 02:58 AM UTC
I know there is a world of difference between airbrushing a model and using regular brushes but for now I'm gonna just stick to regular paint brushes. Just want to know if anyone else still just paints by hand and can give me some tips to make the setback more managable.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi Unamed,

I have brushed feather edges by a 'wet' version of drybrushing along the color demarcation. Use a flat broad tip brush and lightly brush along the lengthwise from one color to the other.

Another idea I have but have yet to try is an oil painting technique. One can work the edges of color in oil unto an airbrushed effect. That is because oil stays wet so long (decades in some situations!) Now, I would never try to finish an aeroplane with oil, but there are drying retarders for acrylics, and perhaps the oil retarders, (linseed oil, Damar Varnish, etc.) could work with enamels without adverse reaction. I wonder if that would work?

Regardless, if you try acrylics, the artist acrylic drying retarder is something I have pondered experimenting with, and perhaps a bit in the paint along a color demarcation would allow blending of the colors to an airbrushesque soft edge?
 _GOTOTOP