_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Anyone built Hasegawa's Longbow?
Coolaznkid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
Ok, I did a search and came up with no results so I thought I'd have better luck if I asked.
Has anyone here finished Hasegawa's Apache Longbow? I just wanted to know if there's anything on the model or instuctions I should look out for, or pay special attention to while constructing this helicopter. This is going to be my first high-quality(?) and expensive helicopter. (Yay, me!) Also, any modeling tips(I did read some up) are welcomed. Thanks

oh by the way, I'm new here.

*Don't know if I should or will do an In-Progress thread...
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hello Chris,
A BIG welcome to Armorama .
I have the same kit and have yet to start it. I will tell you that she is a wonderful kit to build from all the talk I've seen, that's what lead me to it. The Apache is a typical Hasegawa kit, raised/recessed panel lines. The instruction sheet…you’ll have to pay good attention too. Though packed into a small box, she is chalk full of parts. The decals are simple, TwoBobs.com has a great set of decals for this Apache in 1/48. You may also want to ask around over at Fine Scale Model and ARC

Quoted Text

*Don't know if I should or will do an In-Progress thread...

Please do, we encourage so. I myself will be looking forward to seeing your photos.

Again Chris...weclome aboard!

Joe
Cobrahistorian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Well, I'm a newbie here, but a regular on both ARC and FSM, so I figured I'd add my $.02. Firstly, the Hasegawa Longbow is the ONLY accurate Longbow kit out there in ANY scale. That being said, it isn't without issues. They used a great deal of the same sprues from the A model (as they should have, since the basic airframe is identical to the Alpha), but they took certain shortcuts like the venting at the left rear of the canopy. The Longbow doesn't have that, yet it is still included on the kit.

It represents an early Block 1 AH-64D, which is not the current standard. If you're looking to build a 2002-production year bird or later, you need to do several updates, primarily in the cockpit and on the tailboom. The most visible addition is the HF "Towel Rack" antenna along the right side of the tailboom. This is easily replicated with some .035" styrene rod bent to shape. I've done it twice so far and it comes out rather nicely. The other difference is the TEDAC display in the front seat, which replaces the old ORT.

As for decals, the ONLY accurate ones out there are in the Revell Germany Longbow kit. EVERY other sheet, including the Twobobs sheet has the wrong font for the national insignia and tail numbers on it. Twobobs made somewhat of an effort with the 1st Cav (1-227th bird) on his sheet, and the tail number is correct, but the national insignia is still the old USAF Amarillo style instead of the new Helvetica Neue font. BIG difference visually.

It is a VERY good kit overall, it just needs some tweaking to really be an accurate representatio of the real thing!

Hope that helps

Jon

_GOTOTOP