_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Mosquito NF Mk XIX
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi guys:

IŽm working in an Airfix 1/72 Mosquito. The building process is practically finished, all major parts are glued in place and sanded. The landing gears are not glued, just placed in the wheel wells for the pics. This Airfix kit is very good in shape and dimensions, but it takes some work to disimulate the seams. The most frustrating part were the landing gears, they took a lot of job and patienece. I cut the nose with a sharp No. 11 blade as per instructions and later added the Mk XIX nose that comes with the kit.
For the first time I used Mr Surfacer 1200 after sanding all the seams, little scratches and glue marks. The result is fantastic, I get a clean and smooth surface without any trace of seams and other details of the building process.
I will use the markings for 157 Sqn - 100 Group withh invasion stripes in the fuselage and wings.
I love these Airfix Mosquitoes. Critiques and coments will be appreciated.

john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi Carlos:

Your Mosquito is looking really good so far. It definitely has character. I like how tough it looks with the "high shoulders."

I see that you said you used Mr. Surfacer 1200. Did you airbrush it from a bottle or use the aerosol can? I haven't worked with it before, but have heard good things about it. I may need to give it a try on my next project.

Take care,

John
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:22 AM UTC
Thanks John.
I didnŽt use the airbrush. The Mr. Surfacer 1200 that I have comes in a spray can. I highly recomend it. Give it a try
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi all:

Checking the pics I can see a very noticeable seam in the underside of the right side of the nose (second picture). IŽll have to repair it before painting.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 03:27 PM UTC
Hola Carlos!
Your Mossie is looking very nice.
How did you get on with cutting the nose and fitting the new one? I built the Airfix Mosquito earlier this year and would like to have done this version but the surgery involved put me off, so I did the nightfighter version instead. I really must have a go at hand painting some invasion stripes one day.
Keep at the 1:72,theres not many of us about
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Nigel, is good to hear from you again
The surgery isnŽt dificult, I just cut the nose with an Exacto blade (No. 11) and I glued the radar nose in place. Then I applied with a No. 0 paintbrush some putty diluted with cetone over the seam and when had dried I sanded smooth. The Mr. Surfacer took care of all the rest.
Today I have finished the rest of the seam that was visible and I have painted the undersides and the invasion stripes (only in the aft. of the fuselage). IŽm hapy with the result. Today IŽll continue with the painting process of the upper side of fuselage and wings. The camo is : undersides overall black, with uppersides in Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green disrruptive pattern.
These Airfix MossieŽs in 1/72 are great, I love them. This week end IŽll start with a NF Mk II.

All the best.
Carlos
 _GOTOTOP