_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Anyone built Hobbycraft's P-59?
M4Nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
Been looking around the websites I frequent but cannot find a review of the actual build of this kit. Found one in box review but I am looking for a review by someone who has actually built the kit. Trying to decide if it's worth the money/time to build.
Eric
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hi Eric

I was only day-dreaming about this kit last week! I bought it when it first appeared and it's unfortunately still sat there in my stash of the Great Unbuilt...

It's a rather nice kit. Construction-wise, from a test fit, the only real point to watch out for is a tendency for the wings' dihedral to go a bit flat - so a little help by trimming and strapping them with tape while they set won't go amiss.

The cockpit is a bit simple, but Cutting Edge and True Details released excellent resin sets if you don't fancy scratchbuilding. The tyres are vinyl, which isn't my favourite but, again, replacements are available from True Details.

I'd say go for it - it's a kit I'm looking forward to building one day.

Hope this helps

Rowan

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi Eric,
I have just finished the YP59 version of this kit, which i believe is basically the same, apart from the P-59 having the cannons in the front and different wing tips.
Its a pretty easy kit to build, but as Rowan has pointed out does lack a little detail in certain areas.
I scratch-built a lot of whats in the cockpit, mainly using parts out of the spares box.
A couple of things i would change would be to replace the cannons with some hollow tubing. The main canopy has to have a thin strip of plasticard added to the bottom if you want to display it in the open position. Also block off the engine intakes, otherwise you get the "see through to the exhaust" effect.
I found this build review .
Couple of my pics thrown in, i really must take some finished pics now its done :-) .
Andy

Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Scale Aviation Modeller International built this in 1/72 and 1/48 scale in the October 2005 copy. I will have to read it again. Give me a day and I will tell you what it said.

According to the magazine article there are no problems with the kit just a little filler is required. The True Details cockpit is just as good as the Cutting Edge but cheaper. Leave the jet exhausts off until the model is painted and completed. Drill out the mounting points in the wheel bays and fix the legs to the full depth to get the right 'sit'.

44-22614 - fuselage number 88 is missing.
Wrong background colour for Smokey Stover should be yellow.

Two Cutting Edge decal sheets CED48248, CED48254.
 _GOTOTOP