_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
CH-53D coverted to a MH-53J
crickado
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:01 PM UTC
I've been searching for a CH-53D kit in 1:48 scale so I can convert it over to an AIr Force MH-53J. I'm having difficulty tracking down a kit. I was wondering if anyone had a lead on where I might aquire one (or two) or any advice on the conversion. I picked up the Revell 1:72 Pavelow and found as I've been building it that I need to mod several items (most notably in the main rotorhead and blades) to make it realistic. I really want to start the project while the Pave Lows are still in the inventory.

Thanks
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:42 AM UTC
May just be fishing, but would it be harder to convert a CH-53E to and MH? I ask this because Academy came out with one a couple of months ago? As you probably know the Revell kit is OOP, so your best bet of finding a -53anything would be with Academy.

Jeff
crickado
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 02:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestion, but the CH-53E body really isn't suited for the conversion. It's larger than the Pave Low and has a different tail and main rotor. Also, I'm not sure how the 3rd engine changes the upper compartments. I've been looking all over the place for one of the old CH-53D kits for the last several months. I've been thinking of maybe using a HH-53C kit, but I've been told it doesn't look as accurate as a the CH-53D.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:11 PM UTC
Ok. Wasn't sure myself. Good luck. I'd say check eBay often.

Jeff
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hey Chris your right about converting the Academy kit into a J’ body. As you said you’ll have to keep looking on eBay for the Revell CH-53 GS/S kit, #04446. They do show up on eBay from time to time. I just saw one like two weeks ago. Tip…type in many combinations eg; CH-53 GS/S, CH-53, CH-53D, 1/48TH Helicopter and so on. I’ll also keep my eye out for one…

Here is a short review of Cobra Company’s resin MH-53J conversion set. MH-53J resin conversion

I started mine last summer using this set, got burned out with it detailing the cargo bay and cockpit area. I will finish her someday...someday

Joe
Removed by original poster on 08/24/06 - 02:08:23 (GMT).
crickado
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trolling e-bay. I was curious to what modifications are required for the CH-53 GS/S. Like are there additional sensors or differences in the hull? I found a site a while back that was selling them, but it was a German configuration and I wasn't sure if it would work. A friend told me he thought the main rotor blades on the German version were closer to the modern style as oppsosed to the main squarish-non-tapered blades and wet head of the CH-53D. Thanks too for the resin kit link, looks like the conversion will be a lot easier with the pre-fabbed mods.
 _GOTOTOP