_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Feedback needed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Kenny from Gator's Paint Masks here. I'm needing some feedback from aircraft builders. What would you guys like to see in the way of paint masks for aircraft?

Sound off. I've got pen and paper handy

Kenny
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Kenny.
Personally Id like to see some of the more complicated canopies in 1:72.
Heinkel 111,Ju88, that sort of thing.
Great to see manufacturers asking for our opinion.
All credit to you!!
Nige
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 02:38 AM UTC
Howdy Kenny,

Hmmmmmm...........aircraft huh? Unfortunately most of my suggestions would be too obscure to be profitable so...I'll be more general.
There is a virtual plethora of unique, and interesting WWI-based masks you could do {and I think/hope our good JackFlash will support me on this {fingers-crossed }, and please don't rule out any helo-based masks either. As I'm sure you already know, the availability of such things as Coast Gaurd markings for many countries are unavailable...especially in the increasingly popular large scales. But please don't limit yourself there Ken....you've still got Border Patrol's, Police, Aerial Firefighting, etc, etc.....

hth

Tread.

Oops!......please don't forget the LARGE scales either.....{1/32nd!!}......{did I already mention this?}
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Great. We got the ball rolling.

Quoted Text

Hmmmmmm...........aircraft huh? Unfortunately most of my suggestions would be too obscure to be profitable so...I'll be more general.

Hey Tread, nothing is too obscure for Gator's. I can do one off's with no problem and costing you no more than if I had it in stock. Custom orders are a specialty here. Also, because everything is computer cut, it is easy to scale something up or down, just a keystroke.

So guys, what are you looking for?
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great. We got the ball rolling.

Quoted Text

Hey Tread, nothing is too obscure for Gator's. I can do one off's with no problem and costing you no more than if I had it in stock. Custom orders are a specialty here. Also, because everything is computer cut, it is easy to scale something up or down, just a keystroke.

So guys, what are you looking for?

WOW! Imagine getting a response like that from Tamiya, Hasegawa etc, etc.....well, let's see here.....
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 04:32 AM UTC
".... Hey Tread, nothing is too obscure for Gator's. I can do one off's with no problem and costing you no more than if I had it in stock. Custom orders are a specialty here. Also, because everything is computer cut, it is easy to scale something up or down, just a keystroke ..."

.........."one off's huh?.....I don't know if you felt it Ken, but that sharp wrap on your back was me welcoming you to my family of warm and fuzzy friends and neighbors!!!!

NOW I'll start doin' some thinkin'!

Tread.

OH Hey!!.......while I have your ear....give a big thought to some of the 'Dazzle' paint jobs for the salty side of the site...kay?
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hey guys, here's my website so you can see what I have to offer as of today and some of my customers' models.

Gator's Paint Mask

Quoted Text

OH Hey!!.......while I have your ear....give a big thought to some of the 'Dazzle' paint jobs for the salty side of the site...kay?

Hey Tread, WW2 Navy camouflage is one of my best sellers.

Gator
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Kenny,
There is a virtual plethora of unique, and interesting WWI-based masks you could do {and I think/hope our good JackFlash will support me on this {fingers-crossed }, hth Tread.

JackFlash to Aeroscale base....Greeting Tread and all;

I heard my name so I decided to roll out of the clouds. The truth is that you could do whole aircraft masks to replicate everything from translucent fabric over rib stations to complicated camouflage patterns.

First there is the French five colour camouflage for late production Spad, Hanriots and Nieuport types.

The underside overlap border for many Sopwith and SE 5a aircraft. Its is a bit like the Nieuport but was only seen from the undersurface of the wings. The Nieuport was seen on all surfaces. Eduard includes this in most of the Nieuport kits.

Several German Jastas had painted "wound ribbons" wrapping around their fuselages nose to tail.

Sheets of strips at various widths to so fine striping and banding.

Wheel cover masks are always popular. To get that nice separation from the covers to the rubber tyres.

I think one company even does the lozenge patterns in masks. (I prefer Eagle Strike decals) but one draw back is that you can't mask over decals. Removing the mask pulls them up. Lower tac?

Cockades / Roundels or unusual national markings?

Hope that helps. JackFlash outbound at angels five.
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
How about some canopy masks for the new CA Avro Anson 1/48?
I just picked one up and a set of masks for it would save me about two hours.

As far as other suggestions I'd recommend finding the kits with the biggest, most frame filled canopies. From most of the German bombers, to the Japanees fighters. USN planes like the TBF/TBM and the Dauntless. And in 1/48 and 1/72 scale. I'd personally like to see one for the 1/72 B-29 and B-50 also. These may be available, I havent checked.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hi Kenny,
I don't use masks for canopies and/or wheels but I'm very interested in painting on markings. What I would like to see are sheets of generic markings. For example a sheet (A4, A5) of RAF roundels, a sheet of each type and size would be great. The same for codes and even serial numbers and any other generic type markings. Of course markings from other air forces would be equally useful. In my opinion sheets of generic markings are for more useful than a set of marking masks for particular aircraft. The research is far simpler too. It would be a real advantage if they could be produced in the "Kubaki tape" (spelling? but the Tamiya type tape stuff). Even if produced in the normal vinyl stuff, they would be good, as having a sheet of them makes them single use, assuming that "the price is right"
I am planning on painting on all markings in the future and, with the right type of masks, I think most modellers will. Decals will still be used for nose art etc, but I have a cunning plan for painting that too
The biggest problem with applying marking masks is aligning them, so some sort of reference system is reqired. This could be as simple as a small "V" cut on the 4 edges of the surounding piece, ie I would envisage that each of the seperate markings has a square/rectangular border, into which the reference marks are cut.
I hope that is all clear
Mal

EDIT: Then I go to your web site and see that you do generic markings Doh! Do you have any pictures of them? how many on a sheet?
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hey Mal,

Here's a 1/72 Corsair in which all the markings with the exception of the kill markings were painted on using GPM.

The generic markings come several sets to a sheet. I do have USAAF, RAF and Luftwaffe fonts. With codes and numbers, I do make it easy to align the masks. I usually cut the letters and number in a long box so all you have to do is align the to and bottom. A little history on why I do this....I can't do decals! I'm a sign painter by trade so I can paint. So I started making masks for everything I could. When I started selling these masks, I started using a paint mask vinyl as used by automotive painters, so it won't damage the paint.

I hope this answers any questions.
Kenny
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I'm ready to update my website with some of the things you've asked for, but I need some info. I've got code fonts for USAAF, RAF and Luftwaffe. I also have insignia for these three plus the Japanese. Does anyone know of the scale measurements these codes and insignia were in? I know that the US had specific measurements, I just dont know what they were. I've always worked off kit decals.

Kenny
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi Kenny!

Is there a chance we could see (pictures) your references on your website? It's always easier to buy what you can actually see...
As for suggestions, what about those red walkway markings of German planes (Bf 109, Fw 190 etc...). I always found those to look unrealistic when made out of decals. Can you do such small dotted lines from a technical point of view?

Jean-Luc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
From what you have asked for, here's what I'm going to put on yhe web site.

I now have the measurements for the US national insignia with the red and blue borders. I also have ordered some references for early and late war RAF national insignias.

I'll get them priced and posted on the web as quickly as I can, but it may take the week. Please be patient.

Kenny
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope this answers any questions

It certainly shows how good they can look, but I was after pictures of the actual sheets of the masks I understand what you say about things like codes but what about the insignia? Remember we (well certainly I) are not sign writers, are there clear instructions on how to line things up and actually apply the masks. I think that I know a way of getting the verious elements in position, using masking tape, but as I have never done it, yet, a little clarification, preferably with pictures would be a great assistence. You don't have to include the instructions but something on your site would be a great help.

Kenny,
If you would like any of your stuff reviewed I am more than willing. I think that this is the way to go for aircraft markings and I, for one, have been looking for an easy way to acheive the actual painted on look, by painting I'll admit that this is purely a selfish request, I really do want to know how easy it is to apply these things before I make the leap away from decals.
Mal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hey Mal,

Instructions are no problem mate. The instruction sheet I have has step by step descriptions with color photos (I've been at this a while and I'm a former teacher ) As far as reviews, shoot a PM with your snail mail and well set something up. See my feature on MSW... Working With Paint Mask
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Instructions are no problem mate. The instruction sheet I have has step by step descriptions with color photos

That's very good, and I took a look at your feature, that's a great use of masks, take a look guys

I'm beginning to feel that decals (certainly markings) will be a thing of the past

PM on the way.
Mal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC
Just from what you guys have told me, I've already added products to the website. I now have listed a set of WW2 US insignia that range in scale size from 25" to 50". Also, I have early and late war British insignia decals to scan and make paint masks.
Can anyone tell me the difference between RAF bomber and fighter codes in regards to letter styles? I'm a ship modeler mostly and have no background in WW2 RAF (other than I own the "Battle of Britian" DVD :-) )

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP