_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Academy F/-18D dimensions
Bobjohnston
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hi , I am going to be buiding this jet soon and was hoping some one could tell me the dimensions so i could build display case, as it dosn't say on box or website, also are there any probs i should know of before i begin as this will be my first big jet and only my second plane, Cheers Bob.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi , I am going to be buiding this jet soon and was hoping some one could tell me the dimensions so i could build display case.

Hi Bob!

I measured my completed F/A-18C and the dimensions are;

Length: 55cm
Span: 38cm, wingtips not folded but without weapons.
Height: 15cm

These measurments are quite rough, but this is minimum for the model!

Quoted Text

also are there any probs i should know of before i begin as this will be my first big jet and only my second plane

Oh Yes!
This kit has it´s pitfalls and are not a very easy one to build!

I had most trouble getting the nose section together and the intake assembly was a pain!

I would recommend that you build at least one, easier kit before this!
Tamiya´s F-4 Phantom, F-15 Eagle or F-16 Falcon are all good kits with much better fit!

If you go for the F-18, please feel free to ask here or contact me, and i´ll try to help you!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Bobjohnston
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the help Stefan, as you suggested I might try easier build, I do have Tamiya Phantom with Black Box cockpit, and F16 but i might try a 1/48 scale tamiya kit first as i would like something with no fit probs to startup, thanks again , cheers Bob.
 _GOTOTOP