_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Canopy broken
andy75
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hi !
My name is Andrea, from Italy. Recently i buy F-14A TOMCAT BLACK
NIGHTS 1/32 scale. Unfortunately i found the canopy broken/cracked. Its possible to repair? Were can i buy replacement canopy or spare parts? or were i can find vacu-formed canopy ? Tamiya inc. and italian seller dont want send me spare parts !!! I pay the kit in italy 179 euro, my impression on Tamiya is very negative if nobody support customer for spare parts. What do you think ?

thanks to all !!
Andrea
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi Andrea

I'm pretty disappointed by the response you've had from the manufacturers. I guess if they won't even sell you the parts, that must mean the kit is no longer in production and they don't hold spares - but, if that's the case, I'm surprised they haven't simply said as much.

I think you're going to find it hard to do an invisible repair on the canopy. I did a web-search to see if any vacuform 1/32 F-14 canopies are available but had no joy. I rather think you'll have to repair the canopy and consider using it as a master to mould your own replacement from. The bulged shape won't lend itself to plug-moulding so, if you don't already own a vacuformer, take a look at this article on building your own vacuformer - it's really easy to follow and I adapted the instructions and built my own baby-version which works a treat for canopies!

Probably not the reply you wanted - but I hope it helps somewhat.

All the best

Rowan
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately i found the canopy broken/cracked. Its possible to repair? Were can i buy replacement canopy or spare parts?

Hi Andrea!

Hobbylink, Japan have a spare parts service for Tamiya, perhaps they could help.
Contact them, usually you´ll have to buy the complete sprue, but it´s better then nothing.

http://www.hlj.com/index.html

I find it very odd that Tamiya doesn´t want to help you!

If you can, take/send the kit back to the seller and demand a replacement or a refund!
You have bought a defective kit and the seller should be obliged to help you!

Tamiya have a quite bad reputation concerning customer support among modellers!
Their kits are seldom defective, but when it happens, YOU have to pay for new parts!

I hope you´ll get a new Canopy somehow!

Greetings!

Stefan E
andy75
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 02:11 PM UTC
Thanks to all ! Fantastic: i receive now e-mail from Tamiya Japan (no USA). Tamiya JP send me , WITH NO EXTRA COST, the replacement sprue !

bye
Greetings from Italy
Andrea
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to all ! Fantastic: i receive now e-mail from Tamiya Japan (no USA). Tamiya JP send me , WITH NO EXTRA COST, the replacement sprue !

bye
Greetings from Italy
Andrea

result! i need a spare wheel for a kit because i lost it myself, but the kit was only £3.00 so i just buy another. glad you got sorted
 _GOTOTOP