_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Sludge wash- how shiny under it?
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:28 AM UTC
I was wondering when any of you do a sludge wash or any kind of wash, how glossy a basecoat do you put under it?

I played with this technique tonight, and my Future coat is pretty inconsistent gloss-wise, most of it is semi-gloss I guess, with a few parts very glossy. It was a lot more work to get the excess wash off the not-so-glossy parts, with some of it coming off completely because I had to wet the Q-tip to get it off and all of it came up.

After I finish the decals I guess I'll have to re-Future before I finish the washing.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hi Bruce!

Did you brush painted the Future or did you airbrushed it?
Anyway, the Future coat(s) must give a glossy aspect to the model prior to washing. If there are still areas that are satin or matt, spray/brush another coat.
I spray Future (Klir in France) on my models, and usually one coat isn't enough. I must add a second one to have an almost glossy finish. Three coats are not unusual though. The glossier, the easier to apply the decals and to do a wash to enhance the panel lines...

Jean-Luc
tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
I hand brushed the Future on this time, but got some uneven spots with some pooling and running. For the next coat I'll definitely airbrush it.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For the next coat I'll definitely airbrush it.

Hi again Bruce!

Don't try to airbrush too much in one time. If there is too much Future, it will flow on the surface. Better spray two or three times. Usually the first one gives only a satin finish. Don't worry if the surface don't look smooth just after you've airbrushed it. Once the Future is dry and has cured, the surface will look even.

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi Bruce:

Here you have couple of pics of a kit in the process. It is Future coated. That is the kind of shiny look I try to achieve before applying the wash.

Hope this helps.

tabascojunki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 07:07 AM UTC
Yep, I definitely need another coat to get it to that amount of shine. Did you airbrush that or hand brush it?

Thanks for the pic by the way.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC
I always apply the Future with a brush. Itīs a No. 8 flat and soft brush.
 _GOTOTOP