_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
HTL-4 color
mauserman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
AeroScale: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
I'm currently doing Academy's USCG HTL-4. Great little model so far, but I have a question about the frame color. The kit instructions don't give a color recommendation and all of the pics I've been able to find of this bird are in black and white. Thanks.

Edited to say I found the color recs in the instructions. They're calling for either olive drab or aluminum. Neither looks like the pics I've seen so I'd still like to hear some opinions from those of you that know more about these than I do.
Cesspool
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 03:58 AM UTC
Cary,
If your still looking, for the color, it was Intermediate Blue. Same as used by the US Navy.

Mac
mauserman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
AeroScale: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 04:19 AM UTC
Wow, I had forgotten all about this post! Thanks Don, but this baby was long ago finished in OD green. After pulling it off the shelf and looking at it, I think it would have looked much better in blue. I'll know better next time though.
Cesspool
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 03:30 PM UTC
Sorry, I was late coming to the party.
Your right though, I can never figure out color by black and white photos. I do have one of an HTL-4 doing hoisting outside the hangar in TC Mich. The CG historian lists Helos of that era as Intermediate Blue,but as they were transfered around from service to service for demos and for try outs and such, whos to say they were all blue?

Mac
 _GOTOTOP