_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
any flight sim pilots out there?
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
just wondering if there are any online flight sim pilots out there, perhaps any one flyin IL2 Sturmovik? just wondering would like to hear what ya fly

thanks,
Bender
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
I used to play Jane's USAF and before that Janes Fighter Anthology online....but the Janes site that brought it all together has long since gone down as well...USAF(which for my money is still the best modern flight sim out there) won't work with Win XP.....even the Win98 emulation mode won't get it to work. Other than that.....MS CFS2....haven't played CFS3 yet.....plus CFS2 has so many mission, campaign and aircraft addons that it just keeps it going!!!(which was another reason I like USAF....very modable!!)

Haven't played IL2 yet....although I do have it here somewhere....just haven't got around to it yet.....waiting on a good modern flight sim for the PC.....I hear Project 1 is ok....but alot of bugs....supposed to be a new one coming from the makers of SU-27 Flanker....but I think thats about it....flight sims have taken quite the nose dive(pun intended!! ) over the last 3-5years.....they say we are due for a resurgence.....but I haven't seen or heard anything as of yet!!! Hell I am still waiting for Jane's A-10 simulator!!! Oh yeah...they canceled that one!!!!!!
Oh well........will just have to keep on my CFS2!!!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
i'm currently running CFS3 and love it, its seems to have a nice flight models and i like the addition of aircraft for use after the wars end.....if it ever does end....my campaign for the game has gone on in to summer of '46 with no end in sight, but the p-55 assender is use is ever faithful against those damn german jets so i plug on and may i'll win the war before 1950.hehehehe hehehe i recommend CFS3 to all who like the torture of a nice gruiling campaign...stug
m1garand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:17 AM UTC
My favorite is European Air War. I have played IL-2 and like it. Mostly EAW though.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
I don't own any combat flight sims. My brother gave me his old version of Flight Simulator, but everytime I get airborne, I start looking for the sidewinders!

YodaMan
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
I don't do any online flying but I have MSCFS and FS2 (Pacific), and the Tuskegee Airmen add on (Having bulit one of the P-51 for a 1/48 th dispaly and having met severalo the veterans, I had to have that!) as well as Team Apache and Falcon 4.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
viper if you like cfs series, you will love IL2 the flight models, they are much more accurate than the MS stuff, I spent about a year in CFS2 and since I started IL2, I have given my copy away, and never looked back, the grafics are way better, the multiplayer is better, it is alot harder to fly in, and the gunnery is way more diffucult, you actually have to hit the aircraft and not a bubble around the aircraft as in CFS series and one more plus ya cant cheat!! you CFSers gotta like that, and best of all, a brand new game/add on is due next month, bringing the total flyable ac from both games to like 45 I believe, In multiplayer you can have a human player in each gun position on the flyable bombers, german, russian, and american its gonna be great, Ubi Soft the makers of IL2 are also releasing a modern ac flight sim
http://www.lo-mac.com
and there is an A-10 available there, although it has limited flyable ac, from screen shots it looks to be a sweet game.

sorry if this sounds like an Ubi Soft advertisement, Im just really into my virtual air combat, and they give the (IMHO) most realistic game play.
thanks for your replying

Bender
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:05 PM UTC
I've flown the Microsoft online game Fighter Ace (3.5 now?). I mainly flew the Spitfire Mk XIVc, it's actually quite the tank buster when you know what you're doing. Haven't flown in a while since there isn't a decent DSL, cable or even adequate dial up for online gaming. I do take flight in CFS every so often to keep my skills up.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 03:38 PM UTC
Gamespy runs almost all the Janes Online games on thier servers.There are VERY few people that are on them because not everyone knows about it.

The best WWII sim ever was Janes WWII Combat.That game was pure awesome.You guys should try it.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:07 PM UTC
I have CFS1,2, and 3, but I can't get the third one to work on my puter.... I can watch the Intro Movie, but when I click the icon to start the game, it just stops after it shows the main screen.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:19 PM UTC
Maybe you don't have enough juice to run CFS3? I have heaed that the requirments are pretty high.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have CFS1,2, and 3, but I can't get the third one to work on my puter.... I can watch the Intro Movie, but when I click the icon to start the game, it just stops after it shows the main screen.

If you haven't already, try dumping your temp file (C:WindowsTemp) and closing down as many of the programs that might be running in the background (all those icons in the lower right corner of your desktop.) I had trouble with a game once, pretty much the same as you, and that was the trick. And as the previous post suggests, CFS3 minimums are a 400 MHz with, if I remember right, 128 MB ram. Hope this helped.
Desert-Fox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Have:
1, JANES F-18
2, CFS 2
3, MSFS 2002 PRO

Want IL-2 and the new release of IL-2

(I have an Athlon 2800+ processor and ATI Radeon 9700 pro Graphics with 512 DDR SDRAM from www.alienware.co.uk , wonder if it will run CFS3 ? )
Bren
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC
I have:
Janes WWII Fighters
IL2 Sturmovik
CFS2 + 100 downloaded planes
Crimson Skies= not realistic but one of my top 3 games of all time
Love all of them
Eagle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
AH64 1st AirCav Sim Pilot over here....... I've had the games for ages (Gunship and Team Apache), but they gave me oh so much fun.

If there's a tank to be busted, know the Eagle is close.
 _GOTOTOP