_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/32 Revell AH-1G (old kit) any good?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
My local Hobby Lobby has the ancient 1/32 scale Revell AH-1G Cobra (reboxed by Revell of Germany) on the clearance aisle for about $15. I remember building it while in college (82-86), but don't remember if it was any good or not. I think that issue contained nose art for "Squatter Swatter".

Is it worth the $15?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hello Rob,
Yeah it’s a decent kit, it is starting to show it age. Not sure what kit you have, but I have the first one from Monogram, and both Revell kits. The last kit issue was from Monogram, parts clean with minimal flash. Also has a new sprue tree with 7 & 19 shot rockets and an updated lower weapons wing.

Fireball model works has a great Cobra decal sheet here $15.00 w/ free shipping.

Cobra Company has a nice resin cockpit set here for $19.95

Yeah the kit is worth the price, 15.00 oh yeah. I just looked at the late 80's kit and it full of flash and detail is weak. Gino turned one into a AH-1F/S which looks awhsome, I myself started doing the same turning it into a S' model.

Oh one thing....it thr hobby shop lets you look at the kit before buying, I suggest looking at the canopy. I had two that the canopys were too wide.

Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
Rob, I concur with Joe. It is still a good kit. It can be great with a little TLC. Thanks for mentioning mine Joe. I have another that I have the CC cockpit and M35 cannon, Fireball decals and tail conversion, and plan on getting Floyd Warner's new canopy for it. It will be a colorful C/16 CAV bird. I hope to start it soon.

Good luck, $15 is a good buy, especially if it is the new one. My local Hobby Lobby had a new one on sale for $17 last week.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 06:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the input. After buying some of the MRC Gold Cobras when Toys R Us was clearing out models in the mid 90s for $4.90, it seems rather high priced for a model almost as old as I am.
Cobrahistorian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 09:56 AM UTC
It is definitely a decent kit and with the mandatory Cobra Company cockpit set, it really shines. I've got a few right now and they've all been fun to build, even though they needed some TLC to make it stand out. Rescribing the panel lines is pretty important too, since Revell really didn't have any clue what the real thing looked like in certain spots when they made the original molds.

Jon
 _GOTOTOP