Modern aircraft of the United States.
Acft bomb texture
Juggler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
Can someone explain a good way to duplicate the texture on modern USAF 500 pounders? I know they are cast looking but I would like to know some various techniques to achive that special look.
Juggler
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Juggler.
Ive read of people replicating the cast look by a mixture of liquid cement and filler, but Ive never tried it myself.
The photos Ive seen where this method has been used look like it works very well.
Hope this helps
Nige
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 07:18 PM UTC
One method of reproducing a cast texture is to cover the part with liquid glue and dab the surface with the bristles of an old toothbrush. (If you haven't an old toothbrush borrow the wife's). Keep dabbing and as the glue evaporates the surface becomes sticky and the dabbing produces a roughened surface. If you think you've overdone it a light sanding will lessen the effect.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi Juggler

Another way is to cut an old paintbrush down to leave just a bristly stub and stipple the surface of the plastic with liquid cement - the wetter and the more you work it, the stronger the effect. But be careful, you are attacking the actual styrene this way. As it dries the effect softens a little.

Hope this helps

Rowan
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
This is how I like to make a cast piece, first I paint the part with either Future Floor wax or any Gloss coat, ( I like the gloss coat better as it doesn'r dry as fasr as dull coat) then I'll sprinkle Baking Soda over the part. Give it a few minutes to set up...then using a brush, stipple in areas followed by some pressing in areas with your fingers. See doing both in areas will have different effects, not just an uniform part.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP