_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Duel - Lampie Vs Almonkey&TedMamere
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:14 PM UTC
Finished Entry For Duel In The Sky
Finally,,,and just in time (for me,not the campaign),my entry is finished.
This is the Academy BF 109 E-3 in 1:72.
Built oob and using Eagle Cal decal set 7250 to depict the mount of Major Hans "Assi" Hahn.
I will try and get some better pictures over the weekend Jean Luc,time and weather permitting.

I should just have time to dispose of your Portez Jean Luc before sending Phils Hawk to the same fate.
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I should just have time to dispose of your Portez Jean Luc before sending Phils Hawk to the same fate.

Hmmm... I don't know Nigel! I think you're Bf 109 will probably fly in the opposite direction as your propeller blades are mounted backwards... :-)

Sorry, I just saw it in last pictures you posted...

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm... I don't know Nigel! I think you're Bf 109 will probably fly in the opposite direction as your propeller blades are mounted backwards...

:-) :-) That would make a dogfight interesting!
But you should realise my European collegue,,that this 109 was built in the UK,,and is of course,,the right hand drive version!
Too late to change it now.I blame it on the very ropey Academy instructions myself.
Anyway,,finished entry,,prop blades in reverse or not

Nige
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm... I don't know Nigel! I think you're Bf 109 will probably fly in the opposite direction as your propeller blades are mounted backwards...

Oh, come now, it's not his usual plane it's his "back-up" aircraft. :-) :-) :-)
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 01:26 AM UTC
Suddenly everyones a comedian eh? :-)
Luckily the prop came free quite easily and Ive changed it round. But while doing this I confirmed something I suspected was the cause of this "faux par".
There is a locating pin that should be fitted between for the fusalage halves for the propellor to attach to.The 3 bladed prop has the hole on one side only.
So it is in fact the part that is moulded back to front and not something Ive done.
Anyway,,happy now?

Good job Im not precious about my work eh guys?
Nige

Right then,,now Im flying in the right direction wheres that Portaloo,,err I mean Portez?
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
never mind the potez, heres a hawk you need to watch out for! i got my dad to take a couple of pics today, after this was taken i started to cut out the vac canopy, and then cut it up so i can have it open, this was a little bit of a ticklish job to say the least, but there is a spare canopy in the kit so i've been a bit more brave (i would have left it closed if there was only one) then get it on. hopefully there be some paint happening tomorrow
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
i dug out the first digicam i ever owned, its not too brilliant but i can get some pics up, heres where i am with the hawk, fingers crossed i'll finish it in time!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 01:36 AM UTC
ok, heres the state of play with my hawk- what i thought would be a relatively easy camo scheme turned out to quite difficult, which was'nt helped by me trying to use tamiya acrylic for the light brown over humbrol paints, i gave up with the stuff halfway and used some trusty humbrol instead! all i need to do to finish this is a coat of matt, and an aerial wire
look out nigel!

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 02:11 AM UTC
Looking good! On the second page of this thread, I noticed that Hawk of yours is the same kit I bought myself for this christmas.
How does it go together? Any major difficulties, like grinding cockpit parts to get them between the fuselage halves etc?
And btw, that propeller hub looks a little long. Is it supposed to be that way?
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC
this kit goes together quite nicely but there are a couple of things to watch out for,firstly the resin parts seem to be quite brittle, and you need to take care when cutting them off the blocks and sanding, secondly the "quarter light" windows (set in the fusalage) need to be sanded till they are totally flat, i left a small ridge around mine, fitted them, then found that the sliding canopy won't fit properly. if you look closely at my pics you can see what i mean. but thats about it, and i found it to be a nice little kit.
oh yeah- the hub...this was a resin peice that got knocked off when i cut away the part next to it and was never seen again! its a scratchbuilt bit made from the sanded down bullet faired alternative hub and a bit of cocktail stick!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC
i finished my hawk today, in my typical way I.E. a couple of hours before the deadline!

_GOTOTOP