_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Joining Wings to Fuselage
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm curious. Mating a wings to the middle of a fuselage, i.e., P-47, B-24, B-26, how do you do it? Superglue, liquid glue, tube?

Do you intend to eliminate the seam with intitial gluing, or later with filler?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 04:22 PM UTC
Hi Fred

The crucial thing is to make sure the mating surfaces fit. I always prepare butt-joints by sanding both the wing stub and root flat, checking and double-checking the fit before cementing. That way you eliminate a lot of the need for filler later.

If the wing slots into a fuselage recess, it's still worth checking the fit to ensure maximum glueing surface. As regards the strength of the joint, for long-span aircraft like the B-24 it's definitely worth installing a spar if the kit doesn't already include one.

CA or cement? - I use either depending on the circumstances. Slow setting gel CA is probably a good idea to allow time for adjustment (you can always use an accelerator to set it once you're happy) or semi-liquid cement for strength and easy of application. If you're using cement, be sure to support the wing while it dries (overnight on a large kit if possible).

The other adhesive that's really useful is 5-Minute Epoxy, combining strength and adjustability.

I hope this helps

Rowan
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 04:34 AM UTC
In addition to Merlins, post on large aircraft (B24), I use the old red tube glue (testors), for large surfaces, works a little better than the liquid type.
 _GOTOTOP