F-5E - Ruth
garthbender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hey All,

I just wanted to share this F-5E I completed this week. It's far from perfect, but I was pretty happy with the results. I like the color at least.

The base kit is the Academy 1/48 F-5 (from the P-38 kit that lets you build just about anything), the wheels are from True Details, the canopy is one of the Squadron vacuforms and the cockpit is from Legend. I think the decals were from AeroMaster, but there were a few conflicts they had with photos of the same bird, so I just made the balance.

Anyhow, I hope you like it. There are more photos of it at http://www.ipms-css.org/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=3593 if you are interested.

Thanks for looking.
~ Garth

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC
Excellent workmanship, what did you use to make up the Haze Blue.

I built the same kit and used the same decals sheet to make Modification, but mixed the Haze Blue for mine.
garthbender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like it.

As far as paint goes, to make the Sky Base Blue, I just started out with a MM color called 'Blue' (I don't remember the number) and just mixed it with white and a couple of deeper blues until I got a paint chip I was happy with. Same with the Flight Blue... But I don't remember what the base color was. Some navy color I think. I used this and a bunch of reference photos as guides to match the chips against though to see if I was close.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi Garth!

That's a great looking P-38!
Some like heavy weathering, some don't... I think it's just perfect the way you did this one!
What did you use for the base (PSP) if I may ask?

Jean-Luc
garthbender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc!

The base is from Meteor Productions. It is their 12x12 resin PSP base and is pretty reasonably priced at $24. I recommend it. The overall casting was good and I think it's a good representation. I have to say that, in general, I'm happy with most things I've gotten from them. The only thing I really hate is their Black Magic masks. They are way too sticky, so I just use Eduard ones if I end up buying any.

Thanks for the note about the weathering as well. I know some guys don't like weathered aircraft, but it adds context to the model I think. This one was weathered to look like the ones in the photos I had, so people can't really argue it at least. You have to figure, flying three missions a day off of, basically, dirt airfields is going to add a lot of muck.
 _GOTOTOP