_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
REVIEW
FW 190D-9 (easy assembly kit)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 01:45 PM UTC

Andy Brazier (Betheyn) reviews one of the new 1/72 kits by Hobby Boss: the Fw 190 D-9. If you wonder what these kits look like, you will be satisfied as the review as a lot of pictures!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 03:52 PM UTC
Nice one Andy!
I looked at one of these Hobbyboss kits at the Sutton Coldfield show recently and was pleasantly surprised by the fine detail and high quality of the mouldings. Im certainly going to be buying one soon and depending on how it actually goes together I can see myself picking up quite a few in the future.
As you pointed out in your review,the fusalage section is in one piece.Very much a good thing for the younger modeller,and a challenge for the more experienced ones to paint and get some extra detail in there.
I totally agree with your statement about these being an ideal kit for kids to start building.Youd very quickly be onto the painting stage which will hold a youngsters attention and keep the interest level up. I hate doing seam work nowdays,so to eliminate this is a step in the right direction for encouraging kids to put the computer games down for a few hours and actually build something.
Could Hobbyboss kits be the Airfix kits for a whole new generation?
It will be interesting to see how these sell,but generally I predict a good market for Hobbyboss.
Nige
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 03:54 PM UTC
looking good...although I don't quite understand how these kits differ from, say, the Academy Dora - aside from perhaps the one piece fuselage... are they significantly cheaper - parts breakdown otherwise seems standard...any idea of cost...
re the box paint options - the red/yellow banded Dora with the arched cat insignia is a JG 301 machine - see my article in February's Scale Aircraft Modelling for a reference photo..plus other rare Dora images..
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hi Neil.
RRP on these kits is £3.99,a bit cheaper than the Academy offerings in this scale.
I think the major plus point,as you pointed out,is the fusalage being in one piece,plus the wing section is one part as opposed to the three that we are used to.
I would be more inclined to buy my son a Hobbyboss over an Academy kit for this reason.Just one join and you have a "real plane".
The detail and engraved panel lines are certainly on a par with the Academy kits on the couple of these Ive looked at, and hopefully the decals will be lots better than the Academy ones as well.
Not knocking Academy here,just a general comparrison between the two.
I remember your article on 190's in SAM very well.It was the main point of reference for my Dora build earlier this year
Nige
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
thats a true "weekend" kit! who's selling these? because i'd like to see the rest of this series of kits
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thats a true "weekend" kit! who's selling these? because i'd like to see the rest of this series of kits

I picked mine up from Modelsforsale, they delivered it in 2 days . Courtney (Yoghurt) has fallen in love with this kits, i think she will make me buy the entire range at Telford :-).
Andy
 _GOTOTOP