_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Variant on a Wing" Campaign
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hello All!!

I was thinking it would be fun to do a campaign on "Unique" variants of military aircraft. This campaign would also include aerial "oddities" to broaden the amount of planes that could be part of this group build. I always see great campaigns on here but I haven't seen a campaign that addresses this area of flight (although I am sure one has been done before!! )

The time frame for this event would be from World War 2 to the present

The aircraft can be of any scale and be straight OOB, modified OOB or scratchbuilt. No work can be started until the beginning date and must be completed within the given time frame. The time frame for this build will be one year from the start date.

The campaign would require that the plane be of military or governmental(NASA, etc..) background and can be any nationality.

Diorama's are welcome for this campaign but not required.

Airplane variants must be unique and not have been mass produced. A good variant example would be the XP-82(F-82) twin mustang. A bad example would be an ME109E, F, G which were made in mass quantity and quite frequently seen by various allied pilots. The intent is to build interesting low production variants.

"Odd" aircraft will include Parasitic craft( Mistel for example) or cool looking craft like the XF-85 Goblin or the DO335 pfeil.

The big catch is that the aircraft must have at least been COMPLETELY built in real life to be a part of this campaign. No proposed aircraft or aircraft that were partially built and scrapped may be a part of this campaign. It would be better yet if the aircraft had flown at least once but it might restrict some of the models that can be built so flight wont be a campaign restriction.

I personally would like for all participants to include an original photo of the plane being built and maybe a small discussion of what role it served or does serve. I like to learn about interesting equipment built by man even if it was worthless!! This would not be a requirement--just a fun thing to do.

All models completed within the time period will receive a ribbon for this campaign. I have some good ideas but will need help for sure!!

Let me know what you guys and gals think. If I can get 10 people interested I will present it to the appropriate authorities for campaign approval.

I have never done this before so please forgive me if I rambled on too much--I was trying to be as specific as possible so people could get a good idea of the proposed campaign scope. I will need some help probably and I know that everyone that uses this site is more than helpful.

I will list a few planes I thought of below for ideas. If someone wants to build a plane that no one has heard of but exists-lol-please submit a photo or a link to where it can be seen for approval(if the campaign is approved).

Plane Ideas:

RP-38
XF-85 Goblin
F-82 Twin Mustang
Lockheed XFV-1
Douglas X-3
Blohm and Voss-141B
FW-189A "flying eye"
Any Mistel combination
German ME-163(It was a neat lil suicide machine)
ME363?? Gigant
NASA "GUPPY" Jet(May accept Airbuses Beluga)
ANTONOV 225(very few built?)Russia's shuttle hauler

I hope I get at least 1 response-lol (fingers-crossed)
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC
Howdy Patrick,

Also an interesting idea. Being a sucker for anything just about with the word ' variant ' attached, I had to check out your thread.
I've got a couple of AC in the back of my head, but most of them unfortunately would violate your "big catch" thingamabob....

I have a question somewhat along these lines....what ever happened to the 'Luft '46' proposed Camapign?

Best of luck with your idea Blackwulf

Tread.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 01:23 AM UTC
Patrick,

Great idea and you did an outstanding job of outlining the "requirements".

As I 'm sure you are aware there are a great deal of changes being made to the KitMaker network, especially to AeroScale, so at the moment "Official Campaigns" are right out. Do us all a favor and copy your requirements to a file on your computer, so you can resubmit the idea when we are capable of addressing Campaigns.

Of course there is nothing wrong with gathering a group of like minded individuals together and doing a "Group Build" as others have done.

As a modeller of things "off the mainstream", I like the idea very much.

TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 01:42 AM UTC

........you mean like this thing Chuck?

CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
Yeah like that Gordon :-)

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net//features/721
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Patick

I do not understand what you want. Lesser known aircraft or what?

e.g. the Uhu (Fw 189 A) was built in more than 800 units, Me 163 approx. 400 and even the Gigant (Me323) was produced about 200 times

OTOH the Bf 109 T was "only" produced 70 times .... or e.g. the 2 modified Bf 109 F for Adolf Galland (one with wing cannons the other with heavier fuselage MGs)

So what is your aim ... not only prototypes/x-planes I guess, because you would then have called it that way ... (maybe it is just me who is not understanding??)

best wishes

Steffen

P.S. please note the form of the type encoding for German Luftwaffe a/c: first a capital letter the a small one, no dash !, number, capital letter for the variant, dash, number for the subvariant --->e.g. Bf 109 E-3
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
To Tread: I am not sure about the Luft 46 Idea. I think that would be fun also. I was just amazed at the planes that have been built and that are available in model kits today. Believe it or not--I have found more unique variants on Ebay than I have seen on webpages or in books. That is why I wanted to go with planes that have been built for this one. I liked that old soviet bomber? that carried the I-16's under each wing--I was tempted to buy that model but was unsure of the quality since I think it was a russian company(not that they make bad models--just that I have never bought one).

To CRS: I 'll keep the campaign saved--will you let us know when the time is right to offer them up again?

To Steffen: The object was to build lesser known planes yes. I realize that some models like the FW189 may have had a decent production run but I have only seen this plane on rare occasions. Another example is that GE transport that had a nickname of "millipede", the one that had so many small wheels. I was reading about it in a book somewhere and was fascinated by its design(I think it was an ARADO of some kind--sorry I forgot the designation). An ME-109 variant could be built such as the ones you discussed--I just didnt want a standard me-109 model. The U-4 variant of the ME-262 would be allowed since we all loved the Swallow with the Big Cannon up front. The JU-88/P-1 would be a good variant. The JU-87G with the cannons would be a good variant although this plane was a little bit more popular. The He-111 that was modified to carry the V-1 bomb would be neat. Anyway--this is what I was thinking(sorry about all the german planes--they were what popped into my head)

Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:06 AM UTC
I had to go find that transport-lol

It was an ARADO AR232 Tausendfussler(millipede)

http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/itf/ar232.htm

copy and paste that link-it will take you to an image--I dont think there is a model of this anywhere--but someone has probably scratchbuilt one somewhere in the world!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I dont think there is a model of this anywhere--but someone has probably scratchbuilt one somewhere in the world!

About the middle of the page http://www.airmodel.de/shope/shope.html?P_118.htm
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Howdy Fellas,

Understood Blackwulf, and I respect your proposed parameters. Best of luck with your idea when the time comes

And thx CRS for the 'hot' link to the photo of the "millipede", I couldn't seem to get the provided address to work. But then, "gee", why is it whenever I find something interesting to build, it's in the wrong scale? {for me}
Gotta say, that AM-119 Junkers Ju 87 D-3 conversion was really intriguing!

Tread.
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
WOW CRS--you found the transport-I'm impressed--I actually was amazed by all the other planes on there that I have never seen. Only problem for me is that I have heard of vacu-form but something in my brain says that it might be too complex for me at this time. I better read an article or two about it. That Stuka variant that tread was talking about was very interesting.
 _GOTOTOP