_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Strap yourslf in ...its gonna be a bumpy ride
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 04:13 AM UTC
I Love modern Photoetch. The current silver nickel photoetch metal detail pieces available from Eduard are so easy to work with. No need to use heat and being prepainted all thats needed is scuffing up the back surfaces for your favorite adhesive.

The "Big Ed" series has come to mean "Big Edition" and had Eduard combining PE set for the detail hounds of modeling to satisfy that particular itch in their desire to do more than cookie cutter builds. The easiest step to photetch are seatbelts. Not surprisingly Eduard has assemblied a packet of multinational versions that will satisfy most anyone's hunger for a little more detail.

Catalogue #: BIG4867 has brought together individual sets that are now on sale for 24.95 as one package.

49011 Seatbelts RFC WWI $ 10.95

49030 Seatbelts German WWI $ 10.95

49031 Seatbelts France WWI $ 10.95

The colours actually used on these items are softer and look more like leather and canvas / fabric that in the illustrations here. In one package you will have enough sets to satisfy even most appetites. I picked up their earlier German set some years ago and was needing to replenish my stocks as I don't ever go without adding shoulder and or laps straps in in any of my builds. The casual strap hanging over the cockpit edge does just as much for a build as having the control surfaces set or actuated. More later as I crack these beauties open.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 07:10 AM UTC
Looks great! I do really like those prepainted belts. A question though...as I tried giving the pose (bending them) I chiped them a little. Any tips for not doing that. I think if you look close you can see what I mean in my p-47 cockpit...(right where the lap belts come over the seat)

Thanks for the heads-up and any advice you can give.
Much appreciated.
Leon

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 08:56 AM UTC
Certainly, when bending these items use either plastic tweezers or wrap masking tape around the tips on your metal tweezers. Then hit the painted surface with a dull laquer clear coat. The laquer actually heats up the surface momentarily and the paint becomes abit more plyable. About 30 seconds after the liquid hits the surface it will begin to dry. So even if its wet begin the bending avoid sharp creases, gentle bending is the key. Otherwise your just going to need touch up paint. Thanks for asking.
 _GOTOTOP