Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW the rubber does have those seams (left of the column in the pic and of course not as pronounced as on my model)

Hi Steffen

:-) Yes - I was going to suggest you might have got away with it because the original was moulded too - but the kit seams are a bit OTT...

All the best

Rowan
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see many glue smears, CA bleachings and even seam lines that you forgot to sand away.

...isn't that OK here - after all you won't be able to see much of the finished cockpit once in situ ..pesky glue gets everywhere ...
to my relatively untrained eye it looks good to me - is all that etch in the kit itself...?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi Neil

The photo is much less forgiving than the eye and it enlarges the parts by 2 or 4 (depending on the monitor and solution you are using) so you have to be an artist like Jean-Luc to make perfect models (I really enjoy his and Rowans building reports because they are such clean builds).

The kit has most parts as high tech and low tech, so you can build it almost without etched parts. Also you have some easy solutions, e.g. you can use the one part tail wheel or the 3 part assembly.

HTH

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Steffen!

You asked for it! :-) Remember: "qui aime bien, châtie bien!" (something for babelfish )
That's some kind of revenge for the remarks about the right way to write F-W 190 A3, Me-109 G/6 and JU88-z23!
Anyway, seams or not I don't think I will be able to wait for the Royal Class release! Because of you I just have to buy this Fw 190 kit from Eduard right away...

By the way, did you checked if the spare parts can be used with other kits (Dragon, Tamiya or Fujimi depending on what you have in the stash)? Just another stupid question from a Frenchman!

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you have to be an artist like Jean-Luc to make perfect models (I really enjoy his and Rowans building reports because they are such clean builds).

Hi again steffen!

I don't think I make better models. I just hide my "cock ups" better while taking pictures
And I'm not an Artist, I'm an Art Teatcher, it's not the same...

Jean-Luc
Removed by original poster on 10/05/06 - 01:02:20 (GMT).
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

of course I asked for it and I am not agry at you and also not about me because I always ... A L W A Y S ... screw somthing up on a model and those CA smears and some dust do not bother me too much, because they will be covered or removed ....

Well, I cannot afford the Royal class models so I buy the kit I want when it arrives ... I can hardly wait to put my hands on a Fw 190 A-5, A-6 or A-7 not to mention the Bf 110 next year (fingers crossed)

I cannot understand why somebody takes my "lesson" in Luftwaffe a/c designations as a reason for revenge .. but if it helps you to remember the basics of that, I can live with it

I stand to my statement regarding you being an artist

best wishes

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I cannot understand why somebody takes my "lesson" in Luftwaffe a/c designations as a reason for revenge .. but if it helps you to remember the basics of that, I can live with it

Hi again steffen!

It was a joke! In fact you teached me how to write Luftwaffe a/c designations correctly and I thank you for that! I don't think I made a mistake since!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC
Hi all

Well, I've raced home from work and am all set to get stuck into the kit tonight!

I started out by doing a test-fit of the major components because Eduard warned me that there are some critical fit issues to get right. I must say - unless there's something nasty waiting for later on - I can't see what they mean... the fit is excellent! The wing-roots line up without needing the cockpit tub to spread the fuselage - it all looks extremely promising for a smooth build. (And, at that point, I WON'T tempt fate any further! :-) )

Jean-Luc, the Eduard fuselage matches the old Trimaster/Dragon classic very closely, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of scope for some cross-kitting with the huge number of extra parts included in this kit.

I'll probably start a separate thread to continue my build, as I'll be going at a different pace and I don't want t risk anyone confusing some of the test-shot parts (e.g. some of the sprues feature a tiny bit of flash and the colour photo-etch is different) with the full production kit, where the issues have been corrected.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

as I already wrote .. the only tough part so far was the 3 part bulkhead/weapons mount .. another thing is to get the wheel well spar centered .. everything else fits great

my "pace" will slow down soon until I find a nice, well documented KC recipients mount ....

@Jean-Luc ... good to hear I could be of help

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi gang

In case you are wondering .-. I am still building the kit but thanks to Jean-Luc I won't post photos anymore ...

ok .. there is not much to photograph now and the wheather is poor (read dark and not really helpful for taking pix) Also I am still on the hunt to find a nice KC holders A-8 that fits my collection .... meanwhile back at the ranch ... I worked a little on my VW Käfer and decided to make it sandgelb (the "loco motive" will be already black)

I tried to photograph the actual status:

Jean-Luc you will most probaly see the not cleaned up mold seam on the cylinders .. I would have made more damage than improvement .. so I left it as it was

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 02:56 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Looking good! And don't let Jean-Luc put you off - I'm sure revenge will be sweet if you spot a stray seam on one of his builds... :-)

I see you've left the wing top-halves off - is that to get a better fit, or to allow the choice of cannon-bulges until later?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 03:24 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

I left them off because I do not know what I will need for my models markings. Of course I did testfit (great fit) and it also fits eduards instructions (read: everything will fit afterwards) ... hope I will not forget to include the wing root armament or some stuff in the wheel bay...

As for Jean-Luc .. we are just kidding (at least from my point of view) ... as I wrote .. there was not much to photograph

I am getting closer and closer to the point where I will be stuck due to the markings dilemma ... maybe I cut off the white frame form the blue 13 and build the other "blue 13" that is pretty well documented in Lorant JG 300 vol.1 .. but that has not the "B-17 in gun sight" marking (which maybe was only a PK idea for the Wochenschau) ... I do not know

best wishes

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc you will most probaly see the not cleaned up mold seam on the cylinders...

Hi Steffen!

I didn't noticed that! Maybe you are getting better at hiding "cock ups" :-)

Quoted Text

don't let Jean-Luc put you off - I'm sure revenge will be sweet if you spot a stray seam on one of his builds...

This will never gonna happen!

More seriously I'm looking forward to see you reach the painting stage! I almost ordered the kit at Eduard's website yesterday but I will not have the time to build it yet. So I'll wait until it hits the shelves of my LHS. Meanwhile I will follow your build and Rowan's one with geat interest!

You made a nice little "Zwillingsbruder" to my Käfer! Or maybe it's the contrary and I made one of yours. Anyway it looks great. What did you use to weather it like that? Is your car the civil version? I see you used the alternative wheel caps but didn't used the notek light...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi Jean Luc

I do not want to go too much but as you asked. First I wanted to do a black civil/DR Käfer but I thought a black locomotive and a black Käfer might be too much and chose the sandyellow DR version from the kit

The image is from the DAK forum thread concerning the Käfer (http://afrika-korps.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ) and shows it at Minsk ... I would like to have mine a little more central europen and thus added the hub caps and clear head lights (I'like the look)

I used several coats of Mig pigments (euro dust and a little african earth) as a wash with humbrol thinner .... as I said it looks better when not photographed with a flash. It is not yet finished. the bumpers need some wear and tear, as the license plates. The windshield will probably get wiper marks and a rear view mirror. All in all it should look used and exposed to nature but not rotten. (BTW the head lights were just glued in using white glue, which has meanwhile dried clear) .. and the ballerina look will also be ironed out (literally)

(pictures updated due to broken links)

cheers

Steffen
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC
Damn you! Damn you lot I am supposed to spend my money on tools and so on so that I can start building again, and NOT look at Eduards 1/48 Fw 190A-8 OR Tamiya's D-9......
I curse you to hell and back for this..... :-) :-) :-) :-)
Btw, Is Tamyia's Fw 190D-9 a good kit, should I buy with my next set of brushes etc??

SmileyCentral.com
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Hi Jan

The Tamiya D-9 is an easy build, but be aware it has some mistakes ... better go with a Trimaster/DML/Revell/Italeri Fw 190 D-9 (which is mostly cheaper than the Tamiya offering)

cheers

Steffen
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan

The Tamiya D-9 is an easy build, but be aware it has some mistakes ... better go with a Trimaster/DML/Revell/Italeri Fw 190 D-9 (wich is mostly cheaper than the Tamiya offering

cheers

Steffen

Ok....thank you very much for the heads up Steffen, much appreciated!
What IS the mistakes come to think of it??
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC

..how's the build going Steffen..?

(and Rowan)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..how's the build going Steffen..?

(and Rowan)

Hi Neil!

I think Steffen is waiting for the appropriate decals... or he is sanding away ALL the small seams on the plastic parts so I can't see them! :-)

Rowan is unfortunately "up to his neck" in his "real" job (sorry, didn't knew how to say it better), si he hasn't much time for bulding currently.

Anyone else building the Fw 190 A-8 from Eduard?

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jan

The Tamiya D-9 is an easy build, but be aware it has some mistakes ... better go with a Trimaster/DML/Revell/Italeri Fw 190 D-9 (wich is mostly cheaper than the Tamiya offering

cheers

Steffen

Ok....thank you very much for the heads up Steffen, much appreciated!
What IS the mistakes come to think of it??

That's something I also would like to know!

Jean-Luc
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Neil!

I think Steffen is waiting for the appropriate decals... or he is sanding away ALL the small seams on the plastic parts so I can't see them! :-)

Rowan is unfortunately "up to his neck" in his "real" job (sorry, didn't knew how to say it better), si he hasn't much time for bulding currently.

Anyone else building the Fw 190 A-8 from Eduard?

Hi Jean-Luc.....I think this talk about his "real" job is more a question of how to prioritize, and I think that he has got completely wrong, don't you?

:-) :-) :-) :-)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hi Neil, Jean-Luc, Jan and all others

First: I am sorry, I missed the question in Jan's post:

The Tamiya Fw 190 D-9 suffers from a wrong angle of the u/c legs and the much too small wheels (Tamiya also did not correct this on their new release of the Fw 190 A-8/R2) so the whole appearance looks a little strange when finished.

Another mistake (depending on the issue you get) is the wing. Tamiya inspected an US based Fw 190 D-9 which had swapped wings with the D-13 so it had just one ejector hole (for the engine mounted gun on the D-13) instead of 2 for the two fuselage mounted MG 131 on the D-9. Tamiya seem to have corrected that on their "Papageien Staffel" release (I do not have that)

So depending on how much you would have to pay for a Tamiya or Dragon (or derivates) you can chose what fits you best. For the Tamiya you will have to do some extra work on the wing and spend some extra money for wheels. You will also have to buy an engine plug for both --- the wheel well is not covered on D-9 s and you can see part of the enginge from below...

Eduard Fw 190 A-8

Jean-Luc is right. But I am not waiting for the decals but I try to find a well documented KC holders mount. I want to do Dahls "blue 13", but there is too much guessing involved (at the moment, lacking JG 300 vol.2) ... I thought of building the "blue 13" without white border, but i could not decide yet. ... As I have sufficent other projects going on, it is no problem for me

best wishes

Steffen
SEDimmick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another mistake (depending on the issue you get) is the wing. Tamiya inspected an US based Fw 190 D-9 which had swapped wings with the D-13 so it had just one ejector hole (for the engine mounted gun on the D-13) instead of 2 for the two fuselage mounted MG 131 on the D-9. Tamiya seem to have corrected that on their "Papageien Staffel" release (I do not have that)

The wing problem has been corrected on later production run Fw190D9 also.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
Nae bother Steffen.... Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 - 05:11 AM UTC
Wow, look how old this thread already is ...

Well, I am at the project again. Had some trouble fitting the wind shield, but it sits right now after re-glueing the cover over the instrument panel. The RLM 76 is already on. I just have to complete the head armour, which is somehow a bit fiddly (maybe I just had a bad day ..) , so that I can close up the pit for maskig and painting the other colours.

as shown in the FW campaign thread:

all the best

Steffen

P.S. Rowan, have you ever finished your model??

P.P.S Neil .. somewhere we discussed the "Kornjark" c&m .. thought it was in this thread, but apparently not ..any idea where we did?