_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
DB 605 Spitfire
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 09:16 PM UTC
This is Tamiyas 1/48th Spitfire VB mated with Fusion models DB605 conversion set . This aircraft was captured and the Merlin engine was replaced with a German Daimler Benz engine, along with a BF 109G propeller and carburettor scoop. It was then repainted with Yellow (RLM 04) underneath and control surfaces. The upper surfaces are Graugrun/ Grauviolett - RLM 74/75 and the sides of the fuselage are RLM 75 with RLM 74 mottling.
Painted with Xtracrylixs, washes with W+N oils and the exhaust weathered with Alcad Jet Exhaust and Mig pigments.
A rather enjoyable build, but most of the thanks must go to Tamiya and Fusion models for producing such an easy kit to put together.
Andy

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
Hi Andy

it is looking great!!!!

Unfortunatly the camo is really not clear (sometimes solid 71 or other colours are suggested --- and the known pix do not help) .. else I would instantly grab a Tamiya Spit and the conversion an build it (I have both in my stash) great inspiration!!

BTW what is that glossy or brighter part of the yellow at the larger cooler/right u/c?

best wishes

Steffen
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy

it is looking great!!!!

Unfortunatly the camo is really not clear (sometimes solid 71 or other colours are suggested --- and the known pix do not help) .. else I would instantly grab a Tamiya Spit and the conversion an build it (I have both in my stash) great inspiration!!

BTW what is that glossy or brighter part of the yellow at the larger cooler/right u/c?

best wishes

Steffen

Thanks Steffen.
I could only find one photo of the Spit, and that was in B+W and blurred :-) . I have read numerous different colour schemes for it so i just went with Fusion models scheme. They state the mottling is really soft, so it is hard to see.
The glossy part is where i missed with the dull-coat . I only noticed it after posting the pics and has been rectified. Amazing how you don't notice these things untill you put a camera near them :-).
Andy
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The glossy part is where i missed with the dull-coat . I only noticed it after posting the pics and has been rectified. Amazing how you don't notice these things untill you put a camera near them :-). Andy

Hi Andy

I thought that was intetional ... Well, ask me about pix overexposing or just showing your mistakes .... Jean-Luc was so kind to point me at some glitches on my Fw 190 cockpit today ... it just "made my day" :-) :-) :-) .... well it should not be too hard to "flatten" the shine

best wishes

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi Andy!

Another great and original model!

How was the fit of the resin parts? And how was the reaction of Mal over at the U.K. site! :-)

Below is a nice artwork from Gibelin, a French Artist, for the "Fana de l'Aviation" 08/06 issue. There was a nice article about the "Rosarius Zirkus" but unfortunately nothing new about the DB 605 Spitfire. Only one well known picture.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I do not think this Daimler-Spit belonged to "Zirkus Rosarius"

AFAIK it was meant to prove to the superiors, that not the engines were the problems but the a/c designs .... if you have other information please let us know

best wishes

Steffen
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy!

Another great and original model!

How was the fit of the resin parts? And how was the reaction of Mal over at the U.K. site! :-)

Below is a nice artwork from Gibelin, a French Artist, for the "Fana de l'Aviation" 08/06 issue. There was a nice article about the "Rosarius Zirkus" but unfortunately nothing new about the DB 605 Spitfire. Only one well known picture.
Jean-Luc

Thanks Jean-Luc.
As long as you cut the cowling off in the right place, the resin parts just slotted into place. I didn't need to use any filler at all. It really is a lovely set to work with. The resin parts are well moulded, don't have any blemishes or flash and nearly fall off the pour plugs, so clean up is kept to a minium.
Mal is not happy :-).
I have found a couple of sites about "Rosarius Zirkus", and some of the aircraft they flew. There is a number of aircraft that i really want to model. I did one before, a captured Spitfire PR.IX.
Andy
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
I refuse to comment
Mal
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 05:09 AM UTC
Nice work Andy. Was the armament of this AC the same as of the traditionel Spitfire ? I can see the cannons removed but I donīt see the machine guns, specially in the left wing (1st pic).
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Andy. Was the armament of this AC the same as of the traditionel Spitfire ? I can see the cannons removed but I donīt see the machine guns, specially in the left wing (1st pic).

Thanks Carlos.
The armament was the usual mix of cannons and machine guns, but the Germans removed all the guns and filled the machine gun openings up. The gunsight was also removed.
Andy
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... if you have other information please let us know

Hi Steffen!

I read the article again and the author is not clear about the fact that the modified Spitfires belonged to the "Rosarius Zirkus". The text refers to two modified aircraft: Mk IB n° N3277 (with DB 601) and the Mk. Vb n° EN830 (with DB 605A and later the DB 601A). It is written the fitting of Daimler-Benz engines was done because the German didn't have enough Merlin engines (!?).
In the article it is also written that P-80 Shooting Stars were captured by German troops in Italy and that one Me 262 pilot made a test flight with one of them. But the writer speaks of "legend of captured Shooting Stars" and concludes with... "if this story was true!".

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I read the article again and the author is not clear about the fact that the modified Spitfires belonged to the "Rosarius Zirkus". The text refers to two modified aircraft: Mk IB n° N3277 (with DB 601) and the Mk. Vb n° EN830 (with DB 605A and later the DB 601A). It is written the fitting of Daimler-Benz engines was done because the German didn't have enough Merlin engines (!?).

Hi Jean-Luc

Not very convincing to me. Zikrkus Rosarius is the nickname of 2./Versuchsverband Ob.d.L. It was established in March 1943 to test fly German reconnaissance a/c against the latest enemy fighter types. Later its role changed slightly to travel around and show German fighters the pros and cons of the allied types. The a/c were marked T9 + .. (which this Spit clearly is not) ...

Unfortunately the chapter 6 in "On special mission" (Smith/Creeck/Petrick) starts with a pic of the DaimlerSpit. I will have a look in my mags to find the article about this aircraft. It was clearly equipped with a DB 601 and according to the capition in the aforementioned book only one was re-built for comparison purposes and tested at Rechlin.

best wishes

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP