_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Paint/rubbing alcohol and other questions
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi all!

So I'm just about finished with my second aircraft model, a 1/48 hasegawa Stuka and I noticed a few things while painting.

1) I have read that rubbing alcohol works as a thinner, which I have been using with Model Master & Tamiya acrylics and it works great, but I notice that sometimes a whitish fog develops on the paint, almost like chalk, why?

2) What's the best way to apply masking tape around the hard to reach areas? Or is it one of those things that just takes years of practice (which is fine by me)?

3) I'm almost ready to apply Future and then decals. Is it best to then get rid of the gloss with a flat clear and then a wash or just go for the wash?

Thanks!

-Derek
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:47 PM UTC
Cant help with the first point - never used it and never bothered trying anything but Tamiya thinners or distilled water for thinning.

For hard to reach masking area's, you can buy masking tape down to 0.4mm wide these days. Also, you could try using a masking liquid - a sort of liquid rubber. Microscale make a good one.

Do not apply a wash over a matt finish - the wash will just spread out and have the effect of darkening the whole kit, or at least leave paintbrush 'contact' marks near where the wash is applied to the panel lines. Panel lines should be done when the model is still glossed. This helps the wash stay where you want it and allows you to wipe of the excess with a cotton bud dipped in thinners suitable for the wash medium you are using.The Matt or Satin finish is normally the last thing you do to a model aircraft.

OK, just read your post again -

Apply future over your paint job.
Apply decals (using Microset/sol if required)
Apply more future to seal the decals
Apply post shading, exhausts stains (tamiya 'smoke' is good) and other weathering including panel lines.
Apply final varnish of choice - I personally use Xtracolor 'Flat' varnish.

The above is my sequence - it is neither right or wrong but it works for me.

Regards,

Lee

Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC
Thank you,

Lee, that was the sequence I was looking for, this helps a great deal. When I get the plane squared away I'll post pics.

-Derek
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 05:04 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing them, the Ju87 has always been a favourite of mine but somewhat strangely I have yet to build the Hasegawa kit! The last one I did was over 20 years ago and it was the Airfix 1/48 kit. Hmm, I have 8 including 5 different types sat on my shelves right now, I wonder.............

Lee
 _GOTOTOP