_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Thunderbirds F-16
BigPeteUK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gents

I have a major problem that needs some advice beyond my skills. I built the tammy F-16 Thunderbirds jet some time ago. Obviously before i discovered this website i knew nothing of 'Klear and dullcotes for finishes and various other model enhancement techniques I literally in my naivety built this OOB with no thought or care for the decals. This is where my problem lies. The lack of attention has now come back to haunt me and the decals are all peeling off and shrivelling on the surfaces. I get the feeling major surjery is required to rescue the situation.

2 Questions. a: can you get decal sheets for this particular scheme, somehow remove the old ones and start afresh. or b: remove the decals and attempt the paint job with the airbrush and miles of mask.

Failing this, should i consider sending the T'bird to model heaven? Im quite depressed looking at it in its current state

Thanks for any advice received in advance
'Troubled'
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 10:40 PM UTC
Start again - great excuse for a new kit!

Academy do a 1:48 F-16C Thunderbirds kit.

You should be able to remove the old decals fairly easily - Microsol will certainly help you there. When you have done that spray the kit with Klear floor polish, masking the canopy would be best but not essential - some people even dip the canopy in Klear as a matter of course. Then apply new decals and spray with your varnish of choice to seal them in.

There must surely be an aftermarket set of these decals somewhere. Failing that, you could try asking on aeroscale to see if anyone has a spare set.

Regards,

Lee

_GOTOTOP