_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Yep-Grumpy did a 2 winger!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 06:21 AM UTC
Well, the truth is; it's been many moons since I've done a by-plane, so I wanted to something easy, so this is the 1/48th scale Eduard Flea.
Now either 1/48th scale has gotten smaller over the years, or my eye sight has gotten worse, and my hands gotten larger. It's completely out of the box, and I can honestly say it was a lot of fun to build.

I'm also looking forward to doing another bi-plane,
and hopefully won't make as many mistakes on the next one.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi Grumpy,

Wow, a Floh! Great subject!

Well done, more please.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:35 PM UTC
Dave

Fantastic jopb on the propeellor - which method did you use for doing the grain, Oils, poster paint or another method i don't know about. I'm stalled on a Sopwith Camel build for lack of wood painting skills!

Andy
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
Nice little double winger there Dave.

I agree with the comments on the wood prop..
Looks like it was carved from real wood.
Very nice.
I ask like Andy, how did you do it?

Also the stringing looks great too.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 01:50 PM UTC
Ahh yes, the old flea that never flöh in combat... From Eduard's short lived Never Fighting Ladies series.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave
Fantastic jopb on the propeller - which method did you use for doing the grain, Oils, poster paint or another method i don't know about. I'm stalled on a Sopwith Camel build for lack of wood painting skills! Andy

Well Andy you have come to the right place. Just this year we have covered three different Camel builds. With duplicating varnished wood its easy. Base acrylic colour of lt cream, antique white, French beige even doped linen (Polly S colours I use.) Next after it thoroughly dries a clear barrier. Testors lacquer "Dullcote" is good. You will see why in a second. After letting the clear barrier dry ---thoroughly. Used a brown enamel stain /wash with an old frayed paint brush. Drag the brush with the tips only touching the area you want to effect. while its wet you won't be impressed when its dry you will be. if you want to add a darker grain over that just be sure to add another clear barries cote. DO NOT scrub the paint into the corners or you will lift the acrylic base coat.

Sopwith 2 F.1 types
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/78488&page=1

Sopwith F.1 types
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/75083&page=1

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 03:10 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys, it's really been about 20 years since I built a bi-plane. (not since a bought a bi-plane kit though-:-))
Had this in the stash for years, and every time I opened the closet that holds the aircraft models it kept saying "build me-build me". :-)

For the wood prop, I just sprayed it with Testors Flat Brown, the one in the little bottle, #1166, after it dried, I used a Pigma Brush. Which is like an ink pen, that has a brush tip. (Made by the same people that make those Pigma Micron Tech Pens) Afterwards, I lightly sprayed on some Future. After that dried, I laid on a rather heavy coat of Future.

I wish I could say it was a fast build, but I started it about 6, maybe 7 months ago, and it was a love hate relationship. And of course I managed to drop it just before finishing it, and split the bottom seam. Amazingly the rigging kept the wings on with no problems but it took me two days to find the little control things on top. :-) :-) And I needed to make and shape a new tail skid from a piece of "Strutz". Also all the detailing I did in the cockpit, you can't see, but I was surprised to find the photo-etch cockpit assembly was a drop fit, with no problems.

Stephen I think this was the only kit done in the Never Fighting Ladies Series, as I never saw another kit, did they do any that I'm not aware of?

My next one is German, with a wooden fusulage, so I'll be checking to see how that pigma "brush" works on that. I'll also be driving "JackFlash" nuts with "dumb Grumpy questions"... :-)
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 03:36 PM UTC
I like it. 'have to echo the prop comments - well done.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen I think this was the only kit done in the Never Fighting Ladies Series, as I never saw another kit, did they do any that I'm not aware of?

My next one is German, with a wooden fusulage, so I'll be checking to see how that pigma "brush" works on that. I'll also be driving "JackFlash" nuts with "dumb Grumpy questions"... :-)

Grumpy how could you forget the Austro-Hungarian Rotowhirlly PZK-2? Remember the Helio/ autogyro with the three rotary engines!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Grumpy how could you forget the Austro-Hungarian Rotowhirlly? Remember the Heliogyro with the three rotary engines!

Errrr... would you believe ---- senility? :-) :-)

Had that kit also, but another victim of the famous flood, and every time I see one on Extortion Bay, it too high in price. :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP