_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Nose weights
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm building a 1:48 minicraft P38J Lightning. I have filled the nose section with milliput to try to keep the nose wheel on the ground, but it still sits tail heavy. It's too late to rectify this on this model, but what do other people use to keep that pesky wheel grounded?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Andy
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
I use weights I found at the Local Model Railroading Shop (intended as Car Weights) they come in various sizes and are adhesive backed, you can even add them to a completed model (in wheel wells etc.)
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
I usually use either lead fishing weights or steel BB's glued in with super glue. Both are pretty cheap and usually give enough weight to hole the wheel on the ground..

Depending on how for you are on the model. It may not be too late.. If you can get some kind of weight foward of the wings. I.E behind the cockpit or wheel wells you still maybe able to salvage the tail sitter into standing on her own feet.

Hope this helps

Paul
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 02:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice, I may be able to do something in the front wheel well - must visit fishing tackle shop.

If not i'll know for next time

ANdy
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:34 PM UTC
Solder held in place with superglue also works.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 03:45 PM UTC
In one desperate case I had to make a diorama and fix the front wheel to the ground with fishing wire.

Once I have melted 1/2 kg lead (not very healthy i know) and let it drop in water. I now have weights of different sizes forever ;-);-);-)

I usually "glue" these lead "tears" in place using candle wax after a very bad experience where the glue i used melted the complete nose of an F-16
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In one desperate case I had to make a diorama and fix the front wheel to the ground with fishing wire.

Once I have melted 1/2 kg lead (not very healthy i know) and let it drop in water. I now have weights of different sizes forever ;-);-);-)

I usually "glue" these lead "tears" in place using candle wax after a very bad experience where the glue i used melted the complete nose of an F-16

THAT happened to me too many blue moons ago when I was building a A-26 Invader.....*shiver*
Darson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
I use either lead fishing weights or lead shot held in place with either Cyno or two part epoxy. The lead fishing weights are a good material to work with as they are quite soft and can be hammered into about any shape I need.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
Maybe a piece of lead in the nose wheel well added with epoxy a+b can solve your problem.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 07:12 AM UTC
I've always used the old birdshot mixed with 5 minute epoxy. You'll be abazed how much weight you can put into a small area. I bought 25 pounds about 10 years ago, and still have about 20 pounds left. Try to get the smallest shot size you can, as it gives more weight in smaller places. I don't recall the size I have but each pellet is about .5mm.

Here's a really old trick that will probably give a few hearts attacks.

I once built an A-6 and totally forgot to add the weight. I drilled a hole in the radome, and added a mix of epoxy and birdshot. Still wasn't enough, so I drilled a hole just infront of the windscreen, proped the model on it nose in a tin of sand and filled in the with the epoxy-birdshot mix. after everything cured, I now had a very nose heavy A-6. To plug the holes, I sized a piece of sprue and glued it to plug the holes, sanded, primed, and you would never see the holes or mistake.
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 07:21 AM UTC
I'll second Grumpy on the shot. I have a cup of #9.5 I picked up after I ran out of #7.5. Works great and one can put it anywhere. I have used clear silicone in the part to keep it in place but I intend on trying the 5 min epoxy idea next time.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I once built an A-6 and totally forgot to add the weight. I drilled a hole in the radome, and added a mix of epoxy and birdshot. Still wasn't enough, so I drilled a hole just infront of the windscreen, proped the model on it nose in a tin of sand and filled in the with the epoxy-birdshot mix. after everything cured, I now had a very nose heavy A-6. To plug the holes, I sized a piece of sprue and glued it to plug the holes, sanded, primed, and you would never see the holes or mistake.

Thatīs a great trick Dave. I can imagine the state of your nerves during the operation ! :-)
 _GOTOTOP