_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Which Eduard WWI kit?
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 162 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 03:05 PM UTC
Hi folks,

I have built lots of WWII aircraft and the odd modern jet but I am now interested in doing a WWI fighter. I'm not bothered about the side or type but it has to be an Eduard kit as I have about 10 of them on my shelves. They are all Profipacks so I was after some advice -

Which one should I build as a first kit - easier the better I guess, but which one would you folks recommend?

Thanks,

Lee
FUTURE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 61 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 03:26 PM UTC
if you can get hold of one Morane Saulnier Type N PROFIPACK. monoplane so no double wing/struts to worry about...

Eduatd still have the Non Profipack kit and it is discounted.... http://www.eduard.cz/products/card.php?id_product=3529&name=morane&catalogue_nb=&type=&pgroup=&scale=&product_month=&product_year=&page_start=0

http://www.eduard.cz/
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
It might be easier if you listed the kits you have, so we don't have th play the guessing game.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 05:15 PM UTC
Fair point!

On my shelves I have -

Albatross D.II
Albatross D.III
Albatross D.IV
Albatross W.IV
Nieuport Ni-11
Nieuport Ni-17
Nieuport Ni-21
Sopwith 2F.1 camel
Sopwith F.1 camel

Thanks,

Lee
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC
:-) :-) Now we have a much better assessment of the situation :-) :-)

If you had the Morane Saulnier Type N in your stash, I'd go along with Ross, as it being a monoplane, you have only one wing to concern yourself with, plus has enough rigging to learn that part on the string and wing stuff. Since you haven't listed it, and I certainly assume you want to build from the pile and not run out and drop more cash, the one in your stash that I have is the Albatross D.II, which I recently picked up on sale.
Can't say how it fits or goes together, I'm sure that Stephen has built plenty. But it looks like a decent kit, and a great place to practice a varnished fuselage.
The other I'd recommend site unseen, is the Nieuport Ni-11, as I have always like that little bi-plane, and built quite a few of the old Hawk-Testors one.

Looking forward to seeing your build, no matter which one you choose.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Start with the Albatroses or the nieuports There is less rigging to do, witch can give you some problems if you never rigged before. The Roland CII is another good model to start up with.
Good luck, and please chare your work with us

Lars
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hey Lee I have to go with Lars on this one. Nieuport 11, 17 or 21 types in your stack. I have reviewed all of these. If you decide to do rigging, go with the most simple build at first. Also there are a reasonably wide variety of colour schemes and camouflage. Very cool possibilities.
Dirk-Danger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 01:13 PM UTC
Thanks fellas,

It looks a Niuport it is then. Now all I have to do is check out the decal options and see which one grabs my fancy!

Lee
 _GOTOTOP