_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
"Canopy Tips" Question
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm a new modeler, and have read over the "canopy tips" post here and I tried one of the tips and got bad results. I covered the canopy with white glue, let it dry and tried to cut away the glue to make a mask. Unfortunetly, the blade just pulled the glue off. I followed the steps as written, but did I miss something?

Thanks,

-Derek
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
I haven't tried white glue, but have used various brands of liquid masking products, and for myself found the secret to be making sure I used a brand new #11scalpel or Exacto blade.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hi Percheron:
For me the white glue never worked ok. What Iīm doing now and itīs fantastic is to use Parafilm M. Another material that I used is Tamiya Masking Tape and also works fine. With the masking tape what I do is cut it in very fine stripes and begin applying it by the frames, when I get masked all the interior perimeter between the frames I cover the rest either with tape or with Maskol (Humbrol). The Parafilm M is great because itīs very, very flexible, so it works great in the curved parts of the canopy.
Good luck
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
Thanks all,

I'm hoping to tackle to canopy tomorrow. First I need to get the canopy cleaned up after the white glue debacle, and I think I will just do the "mask then paint,mask then paint" thing.

-Derek
 _GOTOTOP