_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Luftwaffe Group Build 109 thread (new)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hi all you 109 nuts,
There is a problem with the original 109 thread, I've spoken to Jim and he suggested that I/we re-start this thread. So I'll start this off by reposting the pics of my long ago completed Bf109-E4 and answer penpen's last question. :-)

Penpen is doing the same aircraft but in 1/72, we were discussing the motelling, this is the reply I've been trying to add:
Hi Big Bad Wolf N° 3, HHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLL
I used a small brush that I cut down, like a small version of a stencil brush, dipped it in the paint, dabbed most of it off then stippled it on to the fuselage. It was quite easy, in 1/48 and should be fairly easy in 1/72. Just use a small brush, something like a 000 or 0000. Have fun :-)
Mal
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hum... something I learned during my student years : the simplest solutions are often the best ! And you should always be aware to them ! Why did I start looking for complicated things like airbrushing...
Thank you Holdfast very much ! I'll try that technique with one of my old very thin brushes !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:03 PM UTC
HHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLL
Remember, not to much paint! penpen.
Now the latest on the 3 Amigos:
They have all had their first colours applied and I'm in the process of masking for the next stage. Only one problem, the white of the fuselage band on E-7 Trop was pebbley, so I have sanded it down and it will be re-done, doh The cause was the pre-shading in that area had splattered slightly and was now showing up with the white applied over it.
Bf 109E-3

Bf109E-4 (Galland)

Bf109E-7 Trop (Marsaille)

Mal
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi there...
Here goes the pics of an 109 that I´ve made for the building group, it´s not a masterpiece, but I like the overall final looking...Cheers!

Comments and questions are welcomed!
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
Holdfast, a question...
I got the Tamiya Me109E4/7 trop, is it possible to make a marsseile plane from this kit without much modifications (OOB), were do I get the decals for it? Mine is in 1/72....
Thanks
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holdfast, a question...
I got the Tamiya Me109E4/7 trop, is it possible to make a marsseile plane from this kit without much modifications (OOB), were do I get the decals for it? Mine is in 1/72....
Thanks

Hi Paulo,
I've not actually seen the Tamiya 109E, but if it's a E-7 Trop then you should have the parts. Pointed spinner (No cannon firing through the hub), tropical filter (box shape) and drop tank.
Decals are a different matter, I'm building mine OOB using the kit decals and have been unable to find any pictures of Marseille's 109E-7 Trop, so I'm just going with the decals as they are. The aircraft No is yellow 13, which sort of makes sense as his 109F was yellow 14. In answer to your question, I don't know but I bet someone does them. I'll have a look through some magazines and see if I can find out. :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
:-) Just taken this pic, Marseille's Bf109F-Trop (or one of them anyway) 1/48 Hasegawa, OOB, painted with Xtracolour. :-)

Mal
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC
Thanks for replying Holdfast...
I got another question to you, how do you mask your canopies, it seens to be worst part for me....
Thanks on advance
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
Paulo, take a look over on the Spitfire group build thread we are discussing that subject there:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/8458&page=2
Mal
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
Thanks, I´ll check it right now!
Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:51 PM UTC
:-) Latest on the 3 Amigos:

The 109 E-3 is painted, the undersurface RLM 65 is Lifcolour acrylic, the RLM 02 is Revell (all I could get and it is c!!p) had to thin it with celulose thinner to get it to even flow through my air brush. The RLM 71 Darkgreen is Xtracolour, which is normally very good but this had gone off. As there is no way for me to get hold of any decent paint (due to situation) at the moment I had no choice but to make it work. I'm not sure what the eventual outcome will be, but at the moment it seems OK. This is now just waiting for a coat of Klear before decalling commences. However, the one downside with Xtracolour, is that it takes betwween 3-7 days to go off properly. (I have in the past masked after 1 day and had problems with paint lifting, but only small amounts). With having used paint not at it's best it would I think be prudent to wait.

After sorting out and respraying the white fuselage theatre band it and the underside white wing tips were masked off and Xtracolour RLM 78 was sprayed on.

Nothing more has been done to the 109E-4 Galland as I'm waiting until I've masked the canopy and painted it RLM 66, for my Bf 110G-2, because It requires the same colours as the 109f. :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
:-) Latest on my 109s,
The decalling is complete on my 109E-3, I used the kit stencil markings, with individual aircraft markings coming from the Galland boxing. The register on these leaves a bit to be desired, so I had to do some trimming. In some cases this caused the inks to crack and 2 of the decals broke into half a dozen pieces. It was fun getting them back together, not
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
Mal,
The pics didn´t show to me.....
Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 07:49 PM UTC
Yeah Paulo me neither, now
I have an idea whats wrong and I'm checking it out. Thanks.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 08:20 PM UTC
Unable to edit post, so I'll try again here

Hope this worked?

I think it is now, I'm hosting these on Webshots (ran out of room on MSN) and I think I was putting a link to "my photo's" instead of "community photo's"
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:16 AM UTC
Holdfast, I edited your code so that the pictures would show up.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 09:54 AM UTC
Cheers Bryan,
MMMMM, It's not the code but something to do with the fact the pics are hosted on Webshots. I just copied the URL of each of them into the search bar, hit return, that takes me to the pic, then if I hit the back button the pics here. When I log off here and come back the pics are gone DOH
Can I get a second album at MSN? That will solve the problem.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
:-) OK I'm back to hosting on MSN, but I've had to remove a load of pics off that site, but at least now the pics will show. So here's the next instalment. this is the E-3 with the wash added. There is another coat of Klear over the decals, the wash is Vandyke Brown, Warm Grey and a touch of white. The wash is quite thick but it does flow, mostley though it is a combination of painting it and letting it flow. It will be left on for at least 24 hours. EEK :-)

Not long before this one is finished :-)
Mal
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:20 AM UTC
Pics ok now! :-)
Great job indeed!
Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:29 AM UTC
:-) Here's the 109E-4 Galland. You will notice (maybe ) that I have sprayed the darker grey RLM 74 Grau Grun Grey Green, first. This is because the mottling is done in RLM 75, which is lighter, I just felt it would be easier this way. This will get masked for the RLM 75 in the next couple of days. I will post the latest on the 109E-7 Trop tomorrow :-)

Mal
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hi Mal,
I have one small question.... Since your doing Galland's 109, are you gonna add a cigar lighter to the instrument panel? It would be anywhere there was an empty spot .
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi Penny,
I did think about including it but to get all three 109s completed in time I've added nothing, not even seat belts. I've just painted the rather poor molded items. The Canopies will be closed for that reason. They were actyally a lot harder to close then to leave open, but as I didn't have enough PE seat belts anyway no choice. Mind you having said that I'm not adding anything is not quite true, I must replace the wing guns as the molds fit badly at them. Still haven't found a good way to replicate the cone shaped flash hider though, I'm about to try filing, I've tried machining in my dremal but there's to much movement of the rod. Now if I could get the use of a CNC lathe I'd be selling them LOL
Penny I've just remembered, didn't you do Gallands 109E? isn't it in the Gallery? I'll have to check it out. I should have asked on here about the camouflage scheme, colours aren't a problem. The only reference I have is the kit instructions and an artical in FSM by William Searson. The auther sites several sources of reference, so he's done his homework. I don't get that hung up on exact detail and was happy with the kit instructions, but the wing splinter pattern is exactly the same as the basic E-3. I've tried to go with the scheme in the FSM artical (difficult to see it all), its a bit different and therefor sort of goes with the early use of the RLM 74, 75 and 76 scheme.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
:-) Heres Gallands E-4 masked ready for the RLM 74

As we speak it's got it's in the spray booth with the splinter camo done, I will be taking the masking off before I go to bed, tonight and tomorrow I will be sprying the mottling :-) love doing mottle :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC
:-) Latest on the E-3, wash has been wiped off, just needs a bit of tweaking. For some reason it seemed far more reluctant than normal to wipe off but I won in the end :-)

Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:00 AM UTC
:-) Latest on my E-7 Trop. This is painted with Xtracolour and I tried something different this time. I have read, in SAM, of thinning Xtracolour with cellolose. I'm not sure of the reason but I would guess that this speeds up the drying time. You may have read on an earlier post that Xtracolour paints take up to a week to dry properly. The cellulose thinner makes it dry matt as aposed to gloss as it's supposed to, but I would coat it with Klear anyway for decaling. This will receive a coat of clear, prior to the RLM 80 Green camo. Just in case I blow the free hand thing. This is my favourite scheme of the three 'cause it is the hardest and therefore will give me most satisfaction. (also it's the one my daughter bought me for Christmas, so I have to say that) :-)

Mal :-)
 _GOTOTOP