1:32 tamiya F-14 that bad?
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi all,

I always thought that the Tamiya airplane kits were great, but I read a review somewhere on the net that the Tamiya 1:32 F-14 is not a very good kit. Is this true? Are there better kits available? Since it costs tons of money I wanna be 100% sure before I buy one....

Regards

Matthijs
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I always thought that the Tamiya airplane kits were great, but I read a review somewhere on the net that the Tamiya 1:32 F-14 is not a very good kit. Is this true? Are there better kits available? Since it costs tons of money I wanna be 100% sure before I buy one....

Regards

Matthijs

Hi Matthijs!

The Tamiya F-14 is an old kit, the very first They released in 1/32 back in 1974 (i believe).
Fit is good, but not on Today´s level, I would compare it with the Academy F-18.
Tamiyas F-14 does not fall together, but it have stood up well to the time.

I bought the Black Knights F-14+ (F-14B) issue last year and I am building on it right now.

In my opinion it´s a quite good kit, and it is far better then the Revell kits when it comes to details.
Only drawback with the Tammy kit is the cockpit, wich is really simple and lacking in detail.
The front part of the fuselage have nice recessed panellines and the rear fuselage have fine but raised lines!

Go for a Black Box cockpit and/or The Eduard pre-painted etched set for instruments and you´ll get a very nice model of the Tomcat.

I have a Revell F-14 that I built several years ago, nice simple kit and a lot cheaper then the Tamiya.
There´s some shape issues with the Revell kit, and it will require a lot of work to be a good replica.

In my opinion The Tamiya kit is still the Best F-14 in 1/32nd scale!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC
The Tamiya F-14 kit is a good kit but requires those modelling skills we hear so much about :-) . I have heard a rumor (can NOT verify said rumor) that Academy is releasing a 1/32 F-14 sometime in the future.

jhoog59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2006 - 01:02 PM UTC
The tamiya kit is not bad but the amount of money they charge VS. what you get takes alot away from it in my opinion.
Jim
 _GOTOTOP