_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
Polish Spitfires
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 02:24 PM UTC

Spitfire fans have something to look forward to with Techmod''s latest decal sets in 1/72 and 1/48 scales - Mk. IXs flown by Polish Squadrons with the RAF in WW2.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
Here is some reference material to go with the latest Techmod decals.

MA563. This Spitfire F.IX was built at Castle Bromwich but the construction number or first flight date is not known. It was delivered to 316 Squadron on the 25th June 1943 to replace BR143 lost on the 17th June with F/Lt Stegman. This Spitfire became the personal mount of F/Lt Bolesław Kaczmarek posted to 316 Squadron to command B Flight. It was first coded SZ-S but within days was changed to SZ-V. The reason is not known but this was the first Spitfire in the squadron to be coded ‘V’. The girl’s name ‘Janetka’ was also added. On 19th August Kaczmarek bagged two Fw 190s with this aircraft. On 5th September it suffered slight damage (cat A) when a strong cross wind resulted in the port oleo leg breaking during landing. During late September, along with all 316 Squadron aircraft, it was transferred to 302 Squadron. As WX-V it became the mount of B Flight commander F/Lt Bolesław Gładych. In late October Gładych switched aircraft and MA563 became WX-W. On 21 January 1944 F/O Władysław Śliwiński manoeuvred MA563 so violently in a dog-fight that the wing skin was damaged. It was sent away for repair and never returned to the Polish Air Force.

Kaczmarek with MA563.

Fitting MA563 with a drop tank before a sortie, the fitter pushing it into place with his feet. Inspection check-list is chalked on the propeller blade. These photos were taken in the first few days with 316 squadron when it was coded ‘S’ and before it was named.

A group of pilots at Northolt in July or early August 1943. Standing is F/Lt Bolesław Kaczmarek. Sitting left to right. S/Ldr Janusz Żurakowski, F/O Jan Kowalski, Sgt Antoni Murkowski, Sgt Piotr Syperek (facing the camera), F/Sgt Tadeusz Symański (in dark shirt), F/O Antoni Cholajda (back to the camera), Sgt F/O Lech Knodracki (wearing cap) and behind him Wiktor Ciechanowicz. MA563 is in the background. The area under the V is over painted where the S had been.

F/O Leopold Zakrzewski in front of MA563. Note the aircraft letter in black.

MK984 ZF-R. Merlin, I know the R looks like it started off as a K but I have no evidence that was ever coded K.

Delivered from CBAF to 33 MU in early May 1944 and then to 308 squadron in mid-June. It became the personal mount of the OC and coded ‘R’ for Retinger. It was used by 308 Squadron until the end of 1944 when it was destroyed on the ground on New Year’s Day 1945 (Operation Bodenplatte.)

Witold Retinger with MK984 before his departure from 308 squadron in mid-November 1944. The name ‘Lala’ (‘doll’) applied on both sides of the fuselage refers to his girlfriend. Bombs on the cowling denote ground attack missions. The zig-zag colour division on the cowling may mean that one of the panels came from another aircraft.

The other side of ‘Lala’. The name can be seen in the shadow of the fitter standing on the wing. Note the flat cover on the wheel hub and IFF aerial under the starboard wing.

PL353. Delivered to 39 MU during July 1944 it arrived in Italy in September/October and was allocated to 318 Squadron in early 1945. On 24th February it was seriously damaged when the undercarriage failed to lower completely during a landing by P/O E. Podkościelny after combat. After repair it is again recorded as major damage on the 30th March but this seems to have be an error in serial number. It is last recorded in the ORB on 4th April flown by F/O F.C Tate. RAF records list it as written off in July 1946 in 225 Squadron which means it is one of five Spitfires handed over to 357 MU and 225 Squadron in May 1946.

Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC
WOW!! THAT is a lot of imformation Antoni, nice work! Can you be anything but impressed?! Very interesting I have to say.....
klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC
That is great amount of information. I love it.

As far as the decals go, I can personally attest to the quality of these decals. I built 2 1/32 scale Spitfires with these decals and they were great to work with. No silvering, and they snuggled down nicely.

Ted
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
Thanks but all the hard work was done by others. I just know where to look.

Like other decals from Eastern Europe Techmod decals can stick very quickly and tear when you try to move them. A Polish friend suggested using hot water. Other suggestions are using saliva as a lubricant and not soaking the paper in water but wetting the back of the paper with a paint brush.

Hasegawa released a version of thier MK IX kit for Polish squadrons earlier this year. About February I think. It had two options. MK984 was one, cannot remember the other.

Aeroclub have just produced an injection moulded replacement fuselage for the Hasegawa Mk IX to correct its faults. At £7.50 it is much cheaper than the resin fuselage from Loon Models.I think it is also cheaper than Brigade Models correction set which only has a new nose, not a complete fuselage.

http://www.aeroclub-models.com/p.html?n=17&c=K839

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hi guys:

Thanks for the info.
 _GOTOTOP