_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Source for a Mig 17 (1/72)
wascally
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 06:46 PM UTC
I was at a modelling show last week and saw a 1/72 scale Mig 19 displayed. Which had me thinking you seldom see older russian cold war aircraft. Mig 17 Mig 19 etc.
This gave me an idea to build a Mig 9, 15, 17, 19 and 21 over the Winter.

I'm going to use the Zvesda Mig 21, Bilek Mig 19. Not sure about the Mig 15, 17 or 9. I know that Eduard will be bringing out a Mig 15 but not sure when. What are the best solutions for the 17 and 9.

I normally build figures and ww1 up to ww2 aircraft so Jets are not my area of expertise.
Thanks in advance, Ray
Cvrle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
In 1/72, currently the best bet is the KP (Kopro). There's a dragon one, but it's less acuurate. That said, the KP kit is from a while back and requires some elbow grease.

Cheers!
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 05:05 AM UTC
Amodel makes the Mig-9 Fargo in 1/72. Just looking at the kit out of the box, the detail is engraved and seems nice. The edges of the parts look a bit rough. I have no idea of how it fits though. It comes with pieces for the intake ducts and the compressor face. There is a cockpit and instrument panel though I'm not sure how accurate they are.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 06:32 AM UTC
I have a Hasegawa MiG-17D/E (no guns, AA-1 Alkali missiles) bagged kit. Everything is there.

70s-era kit. Raised lines. Not the best kit but built up nice.
wascally
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the information on the Migs. I'm really suprised there are so few models out there for these important 50's aircraft. So many British and american aircraft are produced and yet you'd think there would be more Russian aircraft produced. Especially of the frontline fighters. They equiped a fair number of air forces and therefore have a number of colour schemes so there would at least to my mind be a good market for them.

I picked up the Amodel Mig 9 at the lhs. Its actually not too bad in my oppinion from looking in the box. The panel lines are a bit like trenches but there is nothing really bad about the model. Now I just hope Eduard bring out the Mig 15.

Does the KP Mig 17 have raised panels etc. Just thinking how much scribing and sanding I'd have to do. The Bilek Mig 19 is a really nice model btw.

Ray
 _GOTOTOP