_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Hasagawa 1/72 F-20 Tigershark
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hey all....

Has anyone ever built this kit before? And if you have....did you build it with the wheels up? or down?

I was going to build it with the wheels up...and then put a rod through the burner can and mount it on a wooden plaque....however now that I am to the part where the wheel cover would go on....the main gear covers don't even come close to fitting the wheel wells, and the cover for the front gear is molded to the one piece landing gear part...now I would normally just carefull cut this off, and use it....but it is about 3/4 the size needed to fill the hole. Not really concerned with the front gear cover...I can make a new one...but the main gear covers are horrible. Hasagawa obvioulsy never built this kit and be meant for a wheels up build....which I find very strange for a Hasagawa kit. I realize the F-20 isn't exactly the greatest kit they have ever produced...far from it....but so far the fit has been excellent on the kit.

My idea was to build a What If project......was going to paint it similar to the CF-18s and "make believe" that Canada purchased the F-20 (my CF-200A), instead of the F-18 (CF-188). Was going to model it with the wheels up in a high arctic patrol loadout.

Any help here on how I can still do a wheels up version....would be much appreciated!!!
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Viper

I do this F-20 right now - I know what You mean with main gear - I try to find good picture of (like walk-around) F-20 gear but only I found two where You can see some part of gear .
Maybe it could help . I decide to not cut the main gear - one inprovment I done is hydraulic system in landing gear nad some PE parts . ,

Best Regards
COMCARAIRWING
PIG#35
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2003 - 05:02 PM UTC
Yeah my problem is I wanted to model it with the wheels up, with a rod through the burner, and mounted to a plaque, but the Landing gear cover(s) for the front is about 3/4 the size....so too small...and it is actually attached to the front gear itself....not my main problem. The main problem is the main gear...the gear doors just do not fit....on one end they are too small...the other too big...and over all they are too long. This model was obviously meant to be modeled wheels down only.....this is the first time I have ever seen this in any scale of aircraft...and personally I think it sucks!!!!!

Not sure what I am going to do now.....I suppose I could model it with the gear down, and still make it look like it is flying...but just after take off....not what I really wanted to do!!!
 _GOTOTOP