_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hobby Boss Me 109
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC
Military in scale have just reviewed some of the Hobby Boss kits (favourably.) One of them was a Me 109 in Croatian markings.

I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere before? Yes, it must be this one.

A G-10, probably one of two 109’s flown to Italy by escaping Croatian pilots to Italy in April 1944.

But what is this?

The same aircraft. Now with RAF camouflage and markings, Polish chessboards and 318 Squadron codes and badge. (318 Squadron was a Polish TAC squadron formed to support the 2nd Polish Corps in the Middle East and Italy.)

How did it get like that?

F/Lt Preihs describes how he obtained two 'hacks' for the unit:

It was after the ceasefire and we were stationed at Risano. Our OC, S/Ldr Berezecki asked me to
fly him to Bologna for a briefing at the HQ. We took our unit’s Fairchild (light plane). After landing I
taxied to the nearby hangar where the staff car was waiting for Wolodia (Berezecki). The was
supposed to be a short one and I decide to stay by the plane, look over the refuelling and read a book. Soon two American GI came with in a browser and filled up the Fairchild’s tank. They were very friendly. It looked like except us, the airfield absolutely deserted. Two Americans approached me and asked whether I have a spare bottle of Whisky with me. Surprised I posed a stupid question: Whatdo you need it for? I learned that they were left there alone to refuel aircraft if in need. Day the before, some unit brought two German planes and left in another hangar. Nobody have any orders as what to do with them, my two newly acquainted friends wanted to swap these planes for whisky. They led to the place where to my surprise, I saw a Messerschnidt 109 standing in a corner, and quickly acclaim that. –Yes sir! That’s what it is! Two GIs approved of mine enthusiasm. I approach it for a closer look and again I was surprised, for the fighter looked like spanking new. Even the paint looked fresh. The other plane was a rather worn-off Bucker-Youngman light plane…
… I decided to make a deal with Americans and went to see Wolodia. The moment the briefing
was over, I took him aside and outlined my plans. After some persuasive talk he agreed to help me out. Once that was decided he acted quickly. We went to a radio room and Wolodia called Risano and talked to F/Lt Gadomski who was in charge. He asked him to find a volunteer for flying a Messerschmidt from Bologna to out unit. Right after this, he went somewhere and quite remarkably, produced a two bottles of Bourbon…
…Before long I flew back to Risano, and during the flight we discussed details of this unusual
transaction. From a small group of pilots available, P/O Stramik was the one to ferry in our trophy…
…At Bologna we didn’t waste any time. We paid off the Americans and with their help, started to
roll the planes out. Stramik was full of doubts whether he would be able to take off in the
Messerschmidt, but they soon vanished as we found a flight manual in its cockpit. It was in German and it took us some time before we figured out whats and wheres…
…The day was ending and we had get going. We refueled out three planes and were ready to fly:
Stramik in the Messerschmidt, me in the Bucker and Wolodia in our Fairchild. To our joy, the
Messer’s engine started immediately, and with clouds of dark smoke bellowing from its exhaust
stacks. We were full of praise for Stramik to see him speeding down the runway and taking off with ease. He immediately started to climb trailing impressive amount of smoke. According to Wolodia,the reason for this smoke was 100-octane fuel we used, instead German synthetic one. We sincerely hoped that Stramik would make it to Risano. My Bucker behaved normally and in the flight Wolodia kept close to me. As we approached Risano, I noticed a great deal of commotion on a main runway. There was quite a crowd down there, together with our Messerschmidt, ambulances, fire truck and other vehicles. We had to land on a grass strip, and soon joined the crowd. The first we met was F/Lt Gadomski. He described to us Stramik’s landing and absolute astonishments of the airfield’s crew. Luckily for him, AA defenses were already withdrawn. Even before Stramik ended his taxiing, our Wing’s staff car cut him off and
whole bunch officers jumped out. To their farther surprise, the emerging pilot appeared to be a
young Polish officer. After a short moment of consternation, they consulted the King’s Regulations, and having not to found appropriate one to the situation, they congratulated Stramik his flight.

The aircraft was repainted in RAF colours, Dark Earth, Light stone, Azure Blue. Tip. The latest Techmod decal sheets (1/48 and 1/72) feature a Mk IX Spitfire from 318 squadron. You can find the three playing card squadron badge there. It was only painted on the port side.

_GOTOTOP