_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Double take
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC
This is my pair of captured aircraft, together at last .
1/48, Academy Messerschmitt BF-109 G6, which was forced to land at Thorney Island on the 19th May 1944.
Painted with Xtracrylix's, RAF med Sea Grey lowers, RAF Dark Green and RAF Ocean Grey uppers. Decals from the spares box. Still need to print the serial numbers off (once i have the right decal paper ).

1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk Vb with Fusion Models conversion set, build review can be found here

And finally meeting in what i call a "Double Take", in you look twice to make sure your not seeing things :-) .
Its amazing how big the Spits wings are compared to the 109.
Andy
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hi Andy!

These are wonderful models!

I think that placed side by side they look even better! Did you thought about doing a feature about it, maybe with some historical background? I'm sure it would make a fantastic article!

Again, great job!

Jean-Luc
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Andy, they look great together. Nice job on both.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:54 PM UTC
Thanks Jean-Luc and Dave. After i did the Messerspit, i just had to find a 109 to join it.

Quoted Text

Hi Andy!

These are wonderful models!

I think that placed side by side they look even better! Did you thought about doing a feature about it, maybe with some historical background? I'm sure it would make a fantastic article!

Again, great job!

Jean-Luc

Don't know if a feature will be possible, as i have some history and builds pics of the Spitfire, but absolutely nothing on the 109. All i know history wise of the 109 is that it was forced to land at Thorney Island on the 19th May 1944. Not even sure if its correct or not, as i found the colour profile on Wings Palette. I didn't take any build pics as i got modellers block halfway through it and forgot i hadn't taken any .
Could do it as model on display feature if you want ?
Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 04:05 PM UTC
Great models and a great way to build them in unusual schemes. I really like the converted Spitfire. The yellow gives an edge to the camouflage scheme.
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 08:13 PM UTC
Great work!

I am a sucker for captured markings and these are two great specimens. I love the panel-lines on the 109; very nice effect. The 'Spit is a very clean conversion and very well crafted. Thanks for sharing.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 01:12 AM UTC
Nice One Andy!
Lovely job on both of these mate.Have you asked Mal nicely if you can put a German Spit on "his" stand at Telford? :-)
I really like the way youve taken 2 very common builds and turned them around into something unique.,,,what Im trying to say is that your twisted mate
"post" shading now?,,we will have to have a chat about this over a beer at Telford.
Well done again
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 01:26 AM UTC
HI Andy:

The two models looks very good. Itīs noticeable the great wing surface of the Spitfire compared with the one of the Bf 109.
What did you use to make the terrain ? Nice job.
 _GOTOTOP