_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Another of my recent builds
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
Here is the first 1:72 build that I have completed in probably 15 years. I am very happy with the result but there are some flaws that I'll try to keep secret

This is the Academy P-40N with a True Details cockpit and a vac canopy. This was my first vac canopy and it came out fairly well. All I have to say is thank God they give you two in the pack! This model won me second place ina local IPMS show. Again, comments and critiques are appreciated.

wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
This is a great build. If this was 2nd, I think 1st would definitely make me take up basket weaving...

My only comment, and its only my opinion, is I think the shading between the rudder and the tail looks a little heavy. The rest of the weathering overall looks fab.

Cheers
Wiz
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 08:10 PM UTC
Another really nice build. I love those p-40s with the white tails; I think they look so cool. Congrats on your contest placement!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Leon
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My only comment, and its only my opinion, is I think the shading between the rudder and the tail looks a little heavy. The rest of the weathering overall looks fab.

Cheers
Wiz

You're right. It's funny that you mention that. I ran into one of the guys that I knew was judging after the show and asked him, "Honesty, what am I lacking that would get me a gold next time." He told me "Better consistancy with weathering." And he pointed out the tail.

The wash definately got away from me there and I really didn't notice it myself until it was pointed out by "fresh eyes." I guess that's why authors depend on others to proofread and edit there work. Fresh eyes can help immeasurably.

Thanks for the complements and critiques guys!
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:35 AM UTC
Good job, clean build and good looking in gral. I like the the paint work and specially the nose art !
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:18 PM UTC
Nice one. I have never seen that type of colour scheme before. Really good one.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:17 AM UTC
Just saw your P-40, love that white tail I've got to agree there. Very nice, this is the scale I like to work in. I finished an Aleutian tiger P-40E just a couple of months ago. Take care. Good work. Russell
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
Thanks for the complements, guys!
 _GOTOTOP