_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
My In-Progress "Bluerock Clay Pidgeon" (A-24)
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hello everyone!

It is a REALLY slow day at work today, so I thought I'd post of pics of my current long-term pain... er, I mean, project.

I started this one before my son was born (that dates this build at over 2 years now ) It is a Douglas A-24 (USAAF version of the Dauntless) that was one of the units sent to defend the Phillipines in early '42. I will be modelling this one as getting "prepped" in Carolina prior to it's long and sad journey to the scrap heap via the Pacific.

This is the Hasegawa 1/48th A-24 (same as their SBD3 but with Army decals.) I'll tell you, for the price, this kit is a disappointment. The details are inaccurate inside and out, the dive flaps are not perforated, and the fit is not worth what I paid. It does, however, offer a great platform for superdetailing and aftermarket goodies I an using the Verlinden upgrade that was intended for the Accurate Miniatures kit, but works well on this one. I also have True Detail wheels and Eduard dive flaps. The dive flaps are GORGEOUS and are a kit in and off themselves. I have scratch built much of the cockpit; the fuse box, levers, and all of the oxygen systems. I will post more pics later of the flexgun and engine shortly. These pics aren't a nice as I'd like, sorry....

Critiques are greatly appreciated.

shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
You could have gotten a long with Accurate Miniature's SBD-5 (well atleast here, the price of the Hase -5 and AM -5 are the same). Good build I must say. Looking forward to it being finished!
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi Justin

Well done! and kudos to you for not giving up on this old kit. Most people (myself included) would never even look at the Hasegawa offering, considering how much better the AM kit is. With your corrections/additions, it will look every bit the part. Look foward to seeing further progress.

thanks for sharing,

Frank
thehannaman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 09:33 PM UTC
Thanks guys! I do regret "going all out" on the Hase kit. I truly wish I had used the AM. But, in the end, I was able to try out a bunch of techniques that I would not have needed to otherwise. I chalk this on up to a learning experience. I have some progress pics to post once I get home.

Cheers!
Geekus_Plasticus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC
Wow, looks good!
 _GOTOTOP