_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Need help on oil wash for aircraft panels
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 06:11 AM UTC
I'm almost ready to weather my 1/72 Me 262 A-1. Do I want to do it right after applying the decals, or should I seal the decals with a coat of Future or some other gloss/dull coat, then do the weathering? Then I spray another coat over the oils?... I'm guessing dull?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm almost ready to weather my 1/72 Me 262 A-1. Do I want to do it right after applying the decals, or should I seal the decals with a coat of Future or some other gloss/dull coat, then do the weathering? Then I spray another coat over the oils?... I'm guessing dull?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi Ion!

Most times I apply some form of weathering directly after I have done the decalling.
I hardly use any stronger solvents, so an extra gloss-coat Is´nt really necessary for me.

My favourite wash is called a "sludge-wash", consisting of (Tamiya) acrylic paint (50%), water(40%) and some detergent (10%).
Apply, wait a few minutes to let it dry a bit and wipe off the excess with a dampend (in water or Tamiya thinner)Q-tip.

If you want to use stronger solvents in Your washes (like turpenoid or spirits), It´s best to lay down another gloss-coat to protect the decals (and your paint work!).
Always use a really gloss coat as the washes are more controllable then.

When you are satisfied with your washes and weathering, use the top coat you desire (Satin/Matt).

This Is how I usually do my weathering and washes, but I have never used oils so I can´t give more specific advices on that, but others may have more tips!

Cheers and good luck!

Stefan E
klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC
I have to agree with Stefan.
That is the way I do it.
Best to protect all of your hard work.

Best of luck

Ted
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 09:16 PM UTC
Thank you! All the great advice is what makes this site great!
 _GOTOTOP