_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
AMT/ERTL
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
Has anyone built the AMT/ERTL series of planes to include the F-16, F-18 and F-117 in 1/48 scale? Are they any good?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
I haven't made the fast movers, but the prop ones I do have, P-70 Night Fighter, Tigercat, P-40(something) I have were very nice kits. As far as accuracy, I have no idea.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
Rob, thanks for the input. Just trying to make sure it wasn't a kit produced by a defunked 1950's kit producer that has long since vanished and these are original/copied sprues that have been reboxed 15 times by another company just trying to make a profit on an unsuspecting consumer who doesn't know the intricacies of reboxing kits for resale and doesn't hold a degree in cryptography to be able to decipher the box codes to make sure it's not a reboxed kit. :-)
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 06:27 AM UTC
I have heard bad things said about their A-10 though. It is boxed with the old Esci ground support set with a vacuformed base. The Esci ground support set is very good though and is sometimes boxed alone or with the equally good F-5E Aggressor.

Also the Thunderbird set only contains decals for one bird (all decals are the same). Some folks have said that when doing the F-16s, it's best to just paint the inside of the canopy silver. Other decent AMT/Ertl kits are the B-52, Flying Wings and several jetliner based Air Force cargo/tanker/AWACS models.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 06:37 AM UTC
I'm not even going to waste my money on an AMT/ ERTL aircraft kit. I have purchased 3 NASCAR kits to build for my Mom, and they ALL were crap The body would only come down half way over the chassie. I said that I would NEVER buy another one of their kits again.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not even going to waste my money on an AMT/ ERTL aircraft kit. I have purchased 3 NASCAR kits to build for my Mom, and they ALL were crap The body would only come down half way over the chassie. I said that I would NEVER buy another one of their kits again.

That's pretty much how I feel. I only have their old Star Wars kits......and the only reason I build those is because I'm a total Star Wars freak.

YodaMan
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Penny, since it seems you are a NASCAR fan, do you have any good photos of the #7 Alan Kulwicki Army/Desert Storm motif black and tan car? I have the decal sheet and the Revell-Monogram #7 Exide Thunderbird (kit #2450) circa 1994. Is this the proper car for the decal (right year)? Another problem I have is that the kit tires have "Hoosier" on them and the photos I have show "Goodyear" tires. Also I have been looking for white lettered Goodyear tires, but can only find yellow lettered tires.

Any assistance is appreciated.

BTW, not all AMT/Ertl kits are crap, they do have a few decent ones, their P-40 series was very good, along with the Star Trek Galor class cruiser and the USS Enterprise-C and the ProShop version.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
Well, thanks for the input. Since I can pick them up at 40% off I think I'll try one and see how it goes. If it's bad, at least I didn't pay full price for it.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 07:57 AM UTC
Rob,
I do have a photo of that car somewhere around here and I'll have to check on the kit for ya, but since he was killed back in '92 It may be an earlier kit you need. Let me do some diggin' and I'll get back with you on it.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 08:19 AM UTC
Thanks Penny, I checked the sprue, it has a date of 1983 (on the chassis in the trunk area)on it. The decals have 1994 and the box says 1995. I guess I've got a car that's about somewhere while he was still alive. I doubt I'll be able to find an exact 1991 car.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 08:40 AM UTC
I'm a little bummed now. I've never had an AMT/ERTL aircraft kit - and I soooo wanted the XB-70 Valkyrie too...

Gunnie
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm a little bummed now. I've never had an AMT/ERTL aircraft kit - and I soooo wanted the XB-70 Valkyrie too...

Eh, I'd still give an Ertl kit a whirl. I've heard that the kits released for Episode 1 weren't half bad. Fit wise anyway. The detail is still kind of sparse, but then again those kits were the 'snap-tite'.
One of the planes I want is the 1/72 B1-Bomber... unless I'm thinking of the Revel kit.

YodaMan
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC
I hope their AC-130 spectre kit is good because I have one on the way, I won on E-bay. I love that plane.

Rob,
I may have a set of tires with white "Goodyear" on them. I will have to do some digging but will try and get to it tonight.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember those were on sale at this store called "Odd Lots" or "Big Lots" in Huntsville, AL. They were big $s at the hobby shops, but at this clearance store, the "Limited Edition" was only $14.99. It was a very big box. This was the same store where I bought a bunch of DS9 Runabouts for $6.99 and a fiber optic DS9 Station for $9.99.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 01:57 PM UTC
Rob,

I do have 4 extra tires in the 1:24 scale that are goodyear. They arn't painted white or yellow but do have the goodyear eagle raised in the side so you could paint them or file them off. Send me a message with your address (I didn't keep it from the Squadron you sent me) if you want them.
Chappy_ju87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 11:03 AM UTC
I have the P-40 AMT/Ertl kit and it doesn't look too bad at all. It has recessed panel lines too. Did have some flash but that should clean up fairly easy. I also have one of their russian tank models, T-55 maybe? Can't remember, too many paint fumes lately
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 02:19 AM UTC
The T-55 you have Chappy, is probably a reissue of the Esci kit. AMT/Ertl have reissued many Esci kits over the years. It seems that AMT/Ertl stopped making model kits except cars, from what I can tell from their website. I must say that other than their sci-fi kits I have never built one.
But if the P-40 series is good, I might get it if it's still on sale at my hobbyshop.
Chappy_ju87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:35 AM UTC
I can send the P-40 in your next package if you want it....let me know
 _GOTOTOP