_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Mounting models for painting?
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC
To me one of the most aggravating things about painting an airplane is trying to get the paint all over the model without touching or messing up the part you've already painted. This is a special problem with NMF finishes.

What are some of the methods you guys use to mount the model before painting? I have several methods i've used in the past but thought that with the wealth of knowledge and experience on this board I could find a better way.

Thanks,
Steve
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 07:05 PM UTC
One way I have done it is to use fishing line and hang the model from an inconspicous location - loop behind the prop, on a landing gear (if strong enough).

One way you may consider is to remove a prop and use a vertical stake where the prop shaft goes or into an air intake.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hi Steve

Yes - as Scott say, using the propeller spindle (or a rod stuck into it or an intake) as a handle is a good method. Another trick I use is to stand the model on a temporary "undercarriage" made out of pieces of cocktail sticks:

Dave (GrumyOldMan) very kindly sent me a "lazy Susan" (we just don't seem to have these little turntables in the UK) and it's proved extremely useful:

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP