_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Anyone used Model Master "Jet Exhaust"?
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:55 AM UTC
So what's the deal with this stuff..
Is it a paint for the burner cans or a wash ( spray on..) to spray over the tailpipes for a burnt metal look?

I've tried brushpainting it on and now airbrushing it, but it's pretty thin, leading me to think it's an after base-coat kind of thing.

Anyone know? Anyone ever used the stuff?

Mike
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC
Is it one of the Model Master Metelizers? If so, you will have to airbrrush it on and maybe apply 2 or 3 coats. I used the Burnt Iron Metleizer for the exhausts on my Bf 109 and they came out pretty decent looking.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:07 AM UTC
I think Penny is right. I've never used them myself but have been giving the MM Metalizers some consideration for burner cans and exhausts. If I did my research correctly you must also seal it with the Metalizer Sealer when your done-especially if you want to mask over a metalizer to spray another shade of metalizer (such as different shade panels on natural metal finish planes).
m1garand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
I use it on burner cans and exhaust cones. It's like a wash, not a metalizer. It gives the look of exhaust soot but lets the metal show through. Very convincing in my opinion.

MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:19 AM UTC
I don't think it is a metalizer color, but part of the newer Model Master II acrylic line.
I'm pretty sure, but I'd have to go back over to the hobby shop to double check... damn.. I hate going there...

Mike
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:20 AM UTC
Oh, yeah.. by the way..
Armorama beats Hyperscale 3 replies to none in 24 minutes!

Mike
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC
Since you said that it may not be one of the Metelizer paints, then chances are you may have gotten a bad bottle I hope not....
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:46 AM UTC
It's not a Metalizer. I have a bottle in my hands right now. It is pretty thin stuff. I've never actually used it in the intended use. I painted a '53 Ford Flipnose pick-up with it. It took several applications with an airbrush to get a good coat. It's not really a major color you might see on actual jet exhausts so I would say use it as a wash over a base color.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not a Metalizer. I have a bottle in my hands right now. It is pretty thin stuff. I've never actually used it in the intended use. I painted a '53 Ford Flipnose pick-up with it. It took several applications with an airbrush to get a good coat. It's not really a major color you might see on actual jet exhausts so I would say use it as a wash over a base color.

Thanks for clearing this up Tim. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this stuff next time I'm the store.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:30 PM UTC
The jet exaust isn't really a metalizer, I have used it on the guns of some aircraft to highlight the macine guns or in a pinch used it as a base coat for some. I have the two bottles (Jet exaust and Gunmetal here as I type) and the exhaust is a darker shade of gunmetal. With a little luck and a lot of patience. You can use the two colors togather to get the blueing effect found on the barrels of the guns.
Good luck with it and hope this helps
Paul
 _GOTOTOP