_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A challenge for Lampie ;-)
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 08:47 PM UTC
I was exploring around, looking at photos for my martlet build and happened upon these buffalo pictures. They instantly made me think of Lampie's camel. So when all is settled with your tour, house, etc. I challenge you to give one of these a shot... Or just enjoy the pictures

Leon

From www.history.navy.mil

Further info found at http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/ac-usn22/f-types/f2a-cam.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h96000/h96143.jpg

and

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h96000/h96144.jpg
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC
Nige won't do it cause he hates masking canopies :-) :-) .
Andy
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC
:-) :-)
Havent you guys learnt not to challenge me yet?
Look what happened last time!
Andys right,,I do hate masking canopies,,but we'll see eh Leon
errr
umm
ahhhh
What colours are they?,is that weathering on the port cowling or a graphic? Got a profile of it anyone?,,who does a kit?
Maybe Leon,,,,,just maybe :-)
Nige

PS,,I thought you would have picked a difficult one?
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS,,I thought you would have picked a difficult one?

Hi Nige!

You want a REAL challenge?
Well, do It in 1/144, on a Sweet Wildcat! :-) :-) :-)

Cheers!

Stefan E
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
nigel- put your masking tape down and step away from the photos!
i'm not going to dare you to try this one, but although it needs a canopy mask job, it does only have one set of wings
and in the first pic you can just see the nose of another dazzle painted machine
Removed by original poster on 12/09/06 - 15:00:26 (GMT).
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
More fun for lampie:

see other similar thread here

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 04:47 AM UTC
jean-luc you are a one!
thats a curtiss 75 in the bottom corner, just like the one i have primed and waiting for a paint job...............
i'll resist temptation and finish it in french airforce colours because theres a guy in a potez with 109 trouble who needs a hand
*edit* is that a heinkel 70 in the "rising sun" scheme? i have one in my stash with spanish civil war decals............hmmm its certainly do-able for me, maybe next year
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC
Oooooooooooo
Is that a "Rarey Bird" P47 I see Jean Luc?
The writing is too small to make out.
Nige
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
Those are some really neat paint schemes. I really like the one with the rising sun scheme also.
Good luck Nige if you take this challenge But then again, you proved last time you were up to the challenge with your camel

Wayne
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 06:11 AM UTC
Wow. Thanks Jean-Luc, I have to admit when I first saw the scheme there was a temptation to try but without the full view and colors, I thought there was no way. Your scans are awesome and fill in the blanks. and just like everyone else I am really taken with the rising sun one. Any chance of getting a larger scan for better details via email or something? If so, I would really appreciate it...
Leon
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 06:26 AM UTC
Looking at that, and putting in to context of the time, I think we have trully passed the 'golden age', and unless we quickly move on to space travel and warp engines, we will never again see such a time of innovation and 'boldly going where no man had gone before' (sorry about the poor quote..). Never mind 'Stealth', what's so exciting about a dark grey aeroplane?

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 07:51 AM UTC
Barclay's camouflage was a test patern applied to various USN birds at the time, [August - September 1940] as an experimet of consealment over water, which included the Vindicator and Devastater aircraft.
The TBD Devistater BuNo0339 this scheme was applied too was later lost in combat over the Coral Sea.

The Rising Sun scheme was also applied to the Italian Savio Macheti aircraft.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:24 AM UTC
Lampie,

Buffalo canopys are pretty straight forward for masking...

I am terrible at it but my Buffalo canopy was easy with liquid mask. All the framing is straight and up and down except for the top bar, and the windscreen is almost so. I am a bit scared to unmask mine...
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lampie,

I am terrible at it but my Buffalo canopy was easy with liquid mask. All the framing is straight and up and down except for the top bar, and the windscreen is almost so. I am a bit scared to unmask mine...

Also, the new Tamiya 1/48 Pacific Buffalo (with the dragon) has tamiya tape canopy masks included Not hard at all if you choose that kit

Leon
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Lampie,

Also, the new Tamiya 1/48 Pacific Buffalo (with the dragon) has tamiya tape canopy masks included Not hard at all if you choose that kit

Leon

There's of course CA's F2A-1 (or B-239, the kits are the same except for the instructions and decals), and eduard makes a canopy & belly window mask set.
And then there's Hasegawa's 1:72 F2A-1 (and again B-239, same plastic again in both kits).
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And then there's Hasegawa's 1:72 F2A-1 (and again B-239, same plastic again in both kits).

Does the Hasegawa 1/72 have raised or engraved panel lines? Might like to do it and am hoping for engraved...
Thanks.
Leon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hi all!

Quoted Text

Wow. Thanks Jean-Luc, I have to admit when I first saw the scheme there was a temptation to try but without the full view and colors, I thought there was no way. Your scans are awesome and fill in the blanks. and just like everyone else I am really taken with the rising sun one. Any chance of getting a larger scan for better details via email or something? If so, I would really appreciate it...

Leon, the profiles are from a French magazine called Aero-Journal which unfortunately no longer exists. Of course, if someone needs a high res. picture, I can scan them.

Quoted Text

thats a curtiss 75 in the bottom corner, just like the one i have primed and waiting for a paint job...............

Phil, it's indeed a Curtiss P-36C (Hawk 75 was the name of the French version). It is depicted with a special camouflage applied for the "National Air Races" of 1939 (Cleveland)

Quoted Text

is that a heinkel 70 in the "rising sun" scheme? i have one in my stash with spanish civil war decals...

Yes it's a He 70. Some sources say the color was blue and not red.

Quoted Text

Oooooooooooo
Is that a "Rarey Bird" P47 I see Jean Luc?
The writing is too small to make out.

Nigel, it's a P-47D-15-RE (42-75855) from the 5th Emergency Rescue Squadron flown by Robert P. Gerhart, Boxted, june 1944.
The mission of these Thunderbolts was to drop self-inflatable (?) rescue boats during D-Day operations. The boats (two) can be seen under the wings and were fitted instead of bombs. There is also a small device under the fuselage which looks like a smoke generator. The paintsheme is indeed very colorful for obvious reasons.

The P-63 is in fact a RP-63 "Pinball". A heavily armoured "Kingcobra" that was used as flying target for gunners. The guns were loaded with "bakelite" bullets. I forgot to mention that the RP-63 wasn't a drone aircraft... it was flown by a pilot!

Jean-Luc
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Does the Hasegawa 1/72 have raised or engraved panel lines? Might like to do it and am hoping for engraved...
Thanks.
Leon

Hasegawa's kit came out in late 90's and has engraved panel lines.

I built the Finnish version for FUMS. A typical Hasegawa's 1:72 kit, nicely done exterior but pretty spartan cockpit. That shouldn't matter much if the canopy is closed. For an opened canopy, I used Pavla's F2A-2 cocpit & canopy set. The cockpit fits to the F2A-1/B-239 nicely, only the lower instrument panel section and seat need to be modified. You can replace the instrument panel section with a piece cut from the styrene part. The seat is even easier, remove the shoulder belts and add the armor plate either from the kit, or better, make from a piece of scrap PE.

But there's one major flaw in the kit that you can either fix or choose to live with. I chose the latter.
It's the nose. The opening in the cowling is round, not slightly oval as it should be, making the nose taper too sharply. In the front the difference is 1.5mm, quite much in 1:72 scale. I read an article about correcting the nose, supposedly it's not overly tricky, but I chose to live with the error, having already assembled the nose section. It's not that the finished kit doesn't look like a Brewsters, but comparing it to drawings and photos reveals the flaw.

If you're wanting to build the finnish version (or F2A-1), Hasegawa is the only game in, at least to my knowlegde. Special hobby's new F2A-3 and British Mk.I look very nice, having superb resin interiors.
Here's review of the F2A-3 version: Click!
I've heard that no F2A-1/B-239 kits are planned, but who knows if they'll release one eventually.
 _GOTOTOP