Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Japanese WWII Reference
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:59 PM UTC
Looking for suggestions of a the most complete, yet affordable, book on Japanese WWII Aircraft. I have a two nice ones on Allied and German a/c, but nothing on Japanese. And I have a few kits coming. Never built Japanese before, but I'm really looking forward to it (especially the Shinden).
Any suggestions are welcome, I'm also looking for ones that are still in print and easy to find, full color plates etc.....

Thanks in advance

Nate
Wisc. USA
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:58 PM UTC
Not a complete reference but I can rcommend the two Osprey Aircraft of the Aces books covering Japanese Army and Navy. As with all this series the colour profiles are worth the cost alone. I think they also do a book on one of their bombers (Betty?) in the companion series, Combat Aircraft.
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:57 AM UTC
I believe the all time classic for Japanese aircraft is "Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War" by Rene Francillon. It's not the color plate reference you're looking for, but if it was built during the pacific war, this book has a photo or two of it.

Mika Harviala
Pete74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
Books I often use as references are two books from Donald Thorpe, "Japanese naval aircraft" and "army aircraft". Don't know if they are still available.
Peter
 _GOTOTOP