_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Joint Strike Fighter/Joint Strike Aircraft
Choirboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Does anyone know if there is a kit available for this aircraft at the moment, or if one is likely to be brought out and by who?

Thanks,
Choirboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 01:39 AM UTC
Sorry, Correction to the topic title before you all correct me!! It should be Joint strike fighter/Joint combat aircraft!!
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
I don't know about this a/c, but I sure would like one made of the robot a/c in the movie "Stelth" that ran last year (I think)
ch1466
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:41 AM UTC
Yeah,

If you mean the F-35 JSF then you have two choices in the 'close enough' (but not too close if you know what I mean...;-) six footer category.

Italeri (ne Revell Germany ne Tamiya) has a 72nd scale kit.

And a 48th pantograph of the same basic tool has been multiply released by Panda as an A/B/UK/NATO bird.

While the both kits are nominally that of the X-35A/B, the latter is your best starting point for the F-35 at present time. I would go with the Panda because it is cheap (9-14 bucks on sale) and big enough to be an easy hack job. The later editions also come with weapons bays though they are not terribly accurate.

Indeed, be aware that even for an X-35, you are looking at /dozens/ of shape issues (try cutting and relocating the entire wing) and for an F-35 you basically will be using the kit as a former for a card buildup.

Can be done though.

There are also a couple resin stand models (which almost perfectly match the F-35B/C outline) on Ami Ebay. Be prepared for the $99.00 sticker shock.

The alternative is to send a suggestion in to Dragon or Witty Wings to put one out in diecast. Given their record for the F-22, I wouldn't put a lot of hope in the F-35 coming from a major manufacturer until and unless it sees a production contract which won't happen until after 2008 when SDD finalizes.

KPl.
Choirboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
Cheers guys! perhaps ill have to wait for this kit then!!
 _GOTOTOP