_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Brit Mustang done. Thanks Rob!
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 07:02 AM UTC
This is a Mustang MKI, 400 sqdn, RCAF. I have wanted to do a Brit mustang for some time as I feel like the Brits ultimately made the Mustang what it came to be. The US didn't even want the plane and gave it the cold shoulder until the Brits added the Merlin. Then it was "Oh, well, it might not be a bad plane after all." Rarely is it mentioned that the plane performed very well and just as it was designed to right out of the gate. Low altitude.

The type C camo is done with MM enamels. A few AM parts were used to make the conversion.

The Ultracast conversion set was used and included these guns.

And these guns, with the appropriate nose section, as well as the prop.

The wing guns came in replacement sections for the leading edge that included the proper lights. I used MV lenses here.

I modified the pitot to more resemble the prefered unit the Brits used. Is this correct for a US built plane sent to our brothers? I don't really know but I like it.

Weather is lite, which is fortunate for me. I still havent really got the hang of it yet.

It includes MIG oils for panel lines, and grime collected in various places. Poly Scale is the flat coat.

I opted to close the canopy on this one even though there is an Eduard sutton harness installed.

I dirtied up the plane just a bit, stopping short of making it look american. I've read that the Brits tended to keep thier equipment cleaner that the Yanks. If ours flew it was good enough![(-D]

I really enjoyed this kit. It started out life as an Accurate Minatures P-51A. Adding the Ultracast kit added some time to the kit, probably more for me than some. I'm still learning the "way of the sanding stick" for making conversions like this look like they belong instead of like they were an after thought.

And I must add a special note for a fellow board member. When I decided to do this plane I went on a quest for markings that would apply to a Mustang MKI. I found one set available but didn't like them. An appeal on this board yielded me one reply from an Aussie who not only had a set but volunteered them for my project for little more than a "thank you"! It's things like this that really make me proud to be a part of the modeling family. Rob, I owe you one! Thanks again!

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 08:14 AM UTC
Wow! That is really nice. Personally, I love the American planes in the British colors and the mustang looks really sweet done up that way. I like your subtly weathering and encourage you to enter it into the Model of the Month competition.
Again, a really nice job.
Leon
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:25 AM UTC
Troy,

Thanks for the kind words in assisting with the decals.

Excellent workmanship on the Mk I, the AM detail looks more realistic than the kit offering the cam scheme looks real as I believe some of these bird were polished which gave a little extra speed.

This model subject would have my vote in MOM.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hi hkshooter!

That's a beautifull model of a beautiful aircraft! Congratulations!

I also think you should enter it in the MOM... or better, write a nice feature about the conversion for Aeroscale!

Jean-Luc
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:33 AM UTC
Lovely work, hkshooter.

Nice to see this bird in a different guise.

I find your comments regarding the condition of the Brit equipment vs. that of the Yank equipment interesting... as this is something my late grandfather used to comment on as well.

Again, nice work.

Rudi
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
Thank you for the kind words, everyone!
Removed by original poster on 10/31/07 - 19:21:27 (GMT).
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 02:06 PM UTC
Great looking lassie mate!
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi hkshooter:

Congratulations. Very nice & clean build. I also like the photos !
 _GOTOTOP