_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Anyone Heard of Scale Craft Models?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 07:23 PM UTC
I have an F-8 "Sader" that I scored from a local hobby shop that has a whole bunch of old kits. The makers of it are "Scale Craft Models of California" , and it also had "ESCI" on the box. Can anyone help me, here is the deal:

1. Has anyone ever heard of Scale Craft Models?

2. Would an F-8 cockpit set work for this model?

3. Is Scale Craft Models even in business any more?

Let me know, it is a nice kit and I kind of want to work on it. But I would like to know a little history on the maker.

Thanks,

Chip
modelnut4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Scale Craft was an importer for Esci kits in their day, usually pretty good kits, Esci is still being made under different makers but it's the same stuff, Italeri makes a lot of it, I have the German Rest Camp set that I bought a few weeks ago, it's the same as the Esci and a part of the German Horse Drawn convoy set that Esci made. I hope they will be bringing out the old horse drawn ambulance and Panje wagen that was the rest of that set. I still have one of them that I intend to use up one day. You can probably find something Eduard that would do for a little more detail than what you have in the kit. If it isn't up to what you want, sounds like it's time to do a little creative scratchbuilding and kitbashing.

I don't think Scale Craft is in business any more. They were an importer and reboxer for the American market. That's probably why your box is designed like it was. They also made up Cockpit models of the F-16, FA-18 and I think one or two others in large scale like 1/12 or something like that. It was just what you would see if you looked in the cockpit of the real deal, all the panel displays, buttons, switches and gauges, throttle controls and firing system UI's, they even included a Flight helmet with Oxygen mask and visor sets so you could pose it on the ejection seat rail top or seat cushion.

Ah yes the good old days, parting lines you could shave with, enough flash to manufacture whole other kits, and enough exaggerated detail, just so you could spend hours with a #11 Xacto blade, sanding block and scribbing tools to really get an appreciation for the modeling hobby, not to mention all the cuts, scratches, and blood so you could really feel that you were a part of your finished model.

Show us some pictures as you go, I haven't seen an F-8 since I had to stand guard duty on board the Big E once in San Diego. Semper Fi, Do or Die.
 _GOTOTOP