_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Changes to the Aircraft MOM next year.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 05:11 PM UTC
The Aircraft Model of the Month was conceived to help get more pictures of aircraft models into the galleries. To this end it has been a success
When we added voting, to make it a little more interesting and, supposedly "more fun" you, the members, well some, said that they didn't vote "because it was too difficult to choose just one entry". OK so we made it a 1st, 2nd and 3rd vote, which many seemed to like. Because of the fun nature of the event no hard and fast rules for voting were implimented, voters could choose their own criteria. All well and good and for about 2 years this is how it's been. I suppose all "good" things must come to an end and so it is for the current system of the Aircraft model of the month.

The catalist for this change has been allegations of cheating in the voting. I am not going into the whys and wherefors, as I had a long discussion in the Staff forum about it. Suffice to say that I was all for just packing it all in and getting on with my life. However the MOM is enjoyed by many and why should one, or two, destroy the enjoyment of the many? I have not and will not name any names as I sincerly hope that this can be put behind us and that we can get on and make the Aircraft MOM bigger and better.

So this is the way it will be next year, starting in January 2007:

The reason that a model built at any time could be entered, in the current format, was because not enough models were being completed in the month to make it just new builds. Therefor no more models than were usual, at the time, were finding their way into the gallery. So it is going to changed to the Aircraft Model of the Quarter (AMQ) and only models completed in the quarter will be eligable. Models built for campigns and group builds will be eligable as well, assuming that they were completed in the quarter.
Members will enter by placing one picture in the gallery and, if they wish, start a thread in the forums to highlight their model. Voting will take place in the gallery and each member will only have 1 vote (you will not be able to vote for yourself).
I will talk to Harri about harricatures for the new format, but I can tell you that he is, like me, not happy about doing his artwork to present it in a forum where cheating has been alledged. I am in negotiations to find a sponsor for the AMQ so watch this space.

I am sorry if this upsets anyone but that's it, it either changes or it dies. My protest has been in not entering this month, the first time since the begining.

Mal
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi Mal.
Before I put my 2p's worth into this I firstly want to thank both yourself and Harri for all the hard work youve put into creating and running MoM in the past.MoM has become a big part of the site to myself and many others and all your efforts are very much appreciated.
Whatever the reasons for the change it has,as you say,,acted as a catayst to prompt a change in how the competition is formatted in the future.
The site is evolving rapidly and the various components of the site have to change with it.
Am I correct in thinking that you intend to use the same method of voting that is used for the Armorama MoM?
What time frame are you looking at using for MOQ? Entries over 2 months and the 3rd month for voting,or another way?
It would be fantastic for the site if we could get the competition sponsored in the same way as Armorama and Historicus Forums.As the competition is being run quarterly now would you be looking to award prizes for the top 3?
Obviously over the whole Kitmaker network the Armour side has by far the most members and consequently can easily attract enough entries to make it viable to run their competition monthly,but it would be nice to monitor the amount of entries the quarterly competition attracts over 2007 and consider making it perhaps a bi monthly competition for 2008,and if the membership and output of finished aircraft continues to climb at the rate it is now, hopefully it wont be too long before it can return to a monthly event.
Nige
hkshooter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
Question: How is this change going to address the alledged cheating situation?

To be totally honest, MOM is about the only reason I come to this site. I like to see the lastest kits built by various members and use those builds to sort of gauge my own work.
With these new changes comes the fact that the list of great builds is only going to be longer and longer, making it harder for people to decide.

I'm not sure, at this time, how I will feel about the changes in the future. All I can say for sure is that for now I don't like it.
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
First of all, Mal, thank you for sticking with the contest. I know it is a handful of work for you. For me, it is the enjoyment of seeing really great models on a monthly basis. This contest has really spurred me on to try and hone my own aircraft building skills, and I am greatful for the efforts of everyone, the builders, and you, for that.

I'm sorry that we have to go quarterly rather than monthly, but that is pure selfishness on my part. I am honestly shocked that people are trying to cheat in this contest. How can you win something and be proud of it, knowing you cheated? I just don't get it.

However you decide to go with it, Mal, I'm with you. I have voted every month since you started this, and look forward to continuing that. Who knows, with more time to complete a kit, I may actually inflict one of my projects on the public :-). I'm just really sorry about the reasons for the change. It's sad that a few can ruin something that so many enjoy.

I guess I really am getting old.

Mike

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Please read my post carefully, I have tried to outline why the MOM must change. I have also stated why it evolved into what it has been. I have resisted changing the format because it had evolved into what it was for many reasons. The main reason for the MOM was not as a competition but as a means by which we could get more pictures of aircraft models into the gallery. Take a note that what was being voted for and what will be voted for in the new format, is simply pictures of models, not actual models but pictures. This is why the other aim of the MOM was to encourage the taking of better digital pictures. It will become a competition, next year, because of the new format. I hope that there will be more than one prize for the winner and I hope that a major manufacturer will sponsor one of them. The Harricature's will still be awarded, but these will stop if there is any nonsense caused. The reason for going quarterly is to allow me to ask for only 4 kits per month rather than 12, from any sponsor whom I approach. It also allows time for models to be built for each new Competition. This is because, as I stated, when we tried this we had no entries. If the situation changes, I.E. we have plenty of new models presented, or sponsorship is forthcoming for more then just quarters, or whatever, then we can go back to monthly.

Quoted Text

Question: How is this change going to address the alledged cheating situation?

The alleged cheating was in the form of taking several accounts and using them to vote for the main account, I.E. the one that posted the model on the MOM. The gallery voting system will not allow you to vote for yourself and will only allow you one vote. So, to influence the vote in a similar way, you would have to have many accounts, which would be easily spotted because the system can track all accounts. This is how we knew what was happening.

Quoted Text

To be totally honest, MOM is about the only reason I come to this site. I like to see the lastest kits built by various members and use those builds to sort of gauge my own work.
With these new changes comes the fact that the list of great builds is only going to be longer and longer, making it harder for people to decide.

Mmmm, that's one of the points, they weren't, in the most part "the latest kits built by various members" but a model build at any time was allowed (see my initial post) Most of the latest work can be seen elsewere on the site. I can't see that there being more great builds and it being harder for people to decide on their favourite is actually a bad thing? I was really exasperated, in the early days, when members said that they didn't vote because they couldn't make up their minds. This is why it went to 3 choices and it is a very cumbersome way of doing it. If you can choose 1 out of three you have you 1, surely? Basically we want more and better models, but we also want more members to enter, it aint and never will be an exclusive club. We had a 9 year old girl enter last month and last year, on 25th December a 5 year old boy one it.

Quoted Text

It would be fantastic for the site if we could get the competition sponsored in the same way as Armorama and Historicus Forums.As the competition is being run quarterly now would you be looking to award prizes for the top 3?

It would be nice (see my comment above), but I would prefer that it actually runs monthly and award a prize for 1st place. maybe Harri can be persuaded to do some generic Harricatures and award prints for 2nd and 3rd. What needs to be remembered here is that Harri posts the Harricatures to the winner out of his own pocket. It is possible to email them I suppose, it's something to think about, I'll talk to Harri.

Quoted Text

To be totally honest, MOM is about the only reason I come to this site. I like to see the latest kits built by various members and use those builds to sort of gauge my own work.

Quoted Text

However you decide to go with it, Mal, I'm with you. I have voted every month since you started this, and look forward to continuing that. Who knows, with more time to complete a kit, I may actually inflict one of my projects on the public . I'm just really sorry about the reasons for the change. It's sad that a few can ruin something that so many enjoy.

Thanks Mike
Yes get something entered Having said that maybe we could run a parallel comp for novices or those that feel that, for whatever reason, they can't compete in the MOM or AMQ, or whatever it becomes? I would prefer that everyone enter in the one comp but if there is a feeling that a second is useful and, if it goes ahead, it is used (maybe the winner being entered into the "big one") then it's a possibility, but don't quote me on that Just thinking out loud.

This change will be for the better. Honest guv.

Mal
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 03:30 AM UTC
Firstly thanks must go to Mal for the hard work he has put into the MOM in it's current format.

Time to rant.

What is it about people that makes them want to win at any cost - cheating in a competition such as this really makes my blood boil. It is not in the spirit of the site, and a real slap in the face for Mal. I am please that Mal has decided to carry on with the competition in the revised format, and that Harri is going to continue to put up the prizes. Having seen Lampies Razzle harricature - i know that i'd love to have one.

I sincerley hope that the change of format means that the stupidity of cheating will stop and we can go back to being a nice friendly bunch of people - with a common cause - that is to all improve our techniques so we can get more enjoyment out of our chosen hobby.

Rant over

Andy
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
Thanks from me also to you Mal for running the MOM and making it what it is. It has turned into a really fine part of the web site. And thank you for keeping it going.

The reason behind the changes for the MOM is really a sad thing. The whole idea behind this site and the MOM is just to have fun building models, interacting with others from all over the world which is so wonderful, learning and passing on new skills. It really sucks that this situation has occurred and It really just burns my hiney to know that someone would actually do this.

In the end if the MOM turns into what Mal is hoping for with the sponsors etc..etc... it sounds like it could be even better to me than what it all ready is now. Thanks again Mal for sticking with it and not throwing in the towel. I am sure it can get really frustrating at times. I really appreciate it.

Wayne
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 02:24 PM UTC
Fellas,

MoM or MoQ? To me, honestly, I enjoy watching everything being built here at Aeroscale. I haven't said it and can't say it often what a great work the staff do behind the scenes, top notch fellas! The builds are real inspiration to me and I can't wait to get started myself. Airbrush and compressor is expensive stuff, but you already knew that.... :-) In the meantime I stock up on everything else, kits, tools, paints, watch and learn etc. Sorry, went a wee bit off the track there.
Anyhoo, I'm sorry to see that it will change from MoM to MoQ. But maybe it will give more people a chance to take part since it will run over a longer period. More builds=more votes, I don't now. Maybe a good chance for Aeroscale to grow even more, who knows?
Whatever you decide, you have my full support!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 02:14 PM UTC
This month is the first time I've entered the MOM competition and whatever changes are made I still want to continue to enter in future competitions. I think that possibly having them every quarter would be easier as you dont have to feel rushed to get one completed and who knows this may lead to more people entering which would be good to see more peoples work on the sight.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC
It is very sad to me that a negative thing has happened with the MOM. Like many others have expressed, it is a part of the site that I really, really enjoy and look forward to. I fully support you in whatever you want to do with it and hope you know that despite the negative there are many of us who appreciate all that you and Harry do for it.
Leon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hi all!

Like we used to say in France: "le Roi est mort, vive le Roi'" so I will say "the MOM is dead, long live to the MOQ"... even if MOM sounds better than MOQ!

I also think a monthly contest is better, but I fully understand the position of Mal. So let's go for a Quarter Contest and hope it will get Monthly as soon as possible!

Good luck Mal for the new format.

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thanks guys, and gal, I am only really asking that everyone just bares with it. I too would prefer to have a monthly competition and that's what we all should strive for. Look at the MOQ/AMQ or whatever it will become as an interim idea. The only way it can, really, change back into a MOM is if we get enough new models built each month. We are growing but we still never got a massive amount of entries into the old format, even when allowing old models. It also needs members not to have a negative attitude towards it. With all the campaigns going off there should be an adequate supply of new builds.

The other sticking point will, I guess, judging from the early days, be that only one vote will be allowed. Just make a decision! It won't be much of a contest if there are only a hand full of votes.

Upwards and onwards

Mal
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 02:18 PM UTC
Just a short question about this with prizes for the winners....
Would it be possible to display the winner, in one way or another where the Blue Angels F-18 is now, at the top of the page? Maybe it's too much work, I don't know, just an idea anyhoo...... :-) :-) :-)

I'm tired......I'm starting make no sense at all....... :-)
 _GOTOTOP