_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Anyone building Trumps P-38
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hi
Is there anyone building this kit at the moment? I´m thinking of start building my ex after new year, and would like to hear/see some buildingtips on the kit.

Lars Q
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi Repainted,
I have had this kit sitting on my workbench for over a year now. I am very disappointed with it. The detail on the engines is great, but when you put them into the fuselage halves, you can't see any of the detail. The kit (so far) does have some good detail, but be prepared to have a couple of tubes of putty for around the wings, fuselage halves, engin cowlings, and right behind the super chargers. I was for-warned about this kit from a real close friend and like an idiot, I started the kit anyway.

Go for it if you like a good challenge....

Good Luck !
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 05:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

l, but be prepared to have a couple of tubes of putty for
Go for it if you like a good challenge...

Thanks
I will order some extra putty then But since ivé seen my friend struggle with other Trumpeters, in my eyes It´s looks to be a good build, thats gonna put me in work for some times. You see i don´t like the "kinder eggs" or "shake and bake" builds. If their isn´t any challange, it´s not fun.
Do you have any pics of your progress?

Lars
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
I lost all the pictures I had when my pc crashed. I'll get a couple pics taken and posted here within the next couple of days so you can see what you're in store for.....

Penny
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thanks Penny
I will start the P-38 build in Januari, It will be a slowbuild, do I mostly gluing up early birds. going to send in progresspixs of the buils I promise
Lars
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hi
The build started yesterday nigth by cutting some enginepanels of from the left engine.Gonna give it some more work before I´ll send in pics.
Still nobody but ladymodelbuilder on this one?
cheers
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:16 AM UTC
Hi Lasse and Penny!

Hmmm, maybe I should start with my P-38 too?

But Lasse wanted an advance start on this one! :-) :-) :-)

Maybe we could do an "informal" group build here?

Penny, how much have you done so far?
Sorry to hear about your PC crash and loosing all your pics.

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC
I have had this on my shopping list for some time, but I still have not done my ME-262, so I have not bought it yet.

I will postpone it a little further since I have a ton of unbuild kits anyway. Then I can hear your jugdement before I bring out my cash

Looking forward to follow this develop.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I have a few good in progress pictures taken of the P-38. I'll get them downloaded and up for all to see here this evening......

So far you can tell it looks like a P-38.....mostly..... :-) Minus the putty :-) :-)

I hope the pictures don't scare you from building the kit.....
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi
No, Just send the photos in...
I will give you progress photos later. I´m still looking for some references on the machine
Need photos of the oxygentank, and info about the colour of it. Even detailphotos on the electric wiressystem for the guns

And Stefan
You my friend did finish 15 models last year, I only 3, so I´ve need the advance

Lars Q
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi Lars,
Here are those "in progress" pics that I promised.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UABWDjMWjGjfSFgD3BtgMBNaoq3W!of*kfkL9ktsGM5WTTkNifHF74Kp6pvhe!ca758FRoWsM78trT7Dnga5UivZf1Vq5CSuoIpYWq0orjaJPWhTrHdkLXiCVg4EcFYO/Trump%20P-38_1.JPG?dc=4675604575282781611

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UAAkDjQWzWjfSFgD3BtgMGg*iOZO7WdE19T36gALcCtuQAsKkZY2aDAzv1bmNZuSxgSs9iCQLID7wU3CuG!kop!5LjoAJlCbr3gRi3zcCaODQl1C8vleeniCJA4EcCQO/Trump%20P-38_2.JPG?dc=4675604575317974891

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UABkDjUWDmnfSFgD3BtgMGf51OYiEtjgeBw7!Ug9OLfiuBmHcgEJZRc1aQkCrEEDRlSwWL5W7YSJhEt3byBHlSyUrJlbndoA90OWwS6wHWKuB0TmdRR9kniCZA4EcGQO/Trump%20P-38_3.JPG?dc=4675604575345144536

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UABqDzYWT2nfSFgD3BtgMPqUo6rPMtL7tIzLQFj29JR00MhnGSi7wJYQsRCKjw9umjFg7IZCRpv3L*bIU3CvA0!ckQHEV3ASrb76BMsRK1p58U6SaQ5MSniCag8EcGoP/Trump%20P-38_4.JPG?dc=4675604575375686525
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC
the Forktailed DEVIL
Hi Penny
I´m not scared of your pics Just glad to se them. These pics told me a lot. This one going to give us some serious problem to get the interior and the engine to fit nice inside the FTD. I have taped up the kit to se the major parts going together with a very loose fit around the wings.

My guess is that will give me some space to get it square in the final stages.
It would be interesting to see your build without all that filler. The filler is hiding the gaps.Thinking about avoid all that filler must be to correct all gaps with some plasticard, after a hole lot of dry fitting the part and correcting all inside parts.

I’m started up with that open side to give the engine that daylight everybody talking about,

but I’ll going to start with the other side to get a feeling of the fit then the complete engine and the bay is done.

It seam very obvious that this kit will improve every modellers skill then it’s finished of.

Lars
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 06:23 PM UTC
Don't forget a load of lead in the nose!!

Andy
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 05, 2007 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't forget a load of lead in the nose!!

Hi Andy
Have started to glue the other engine togehter, since the block is in 2 halves I´ve filled the engineblock up with a soft lead. This kind of lead you can find in shops for sportsfishing.Just heat it up on worklamp and press it in, it will take the shape of the inside.
I dont know how much it will be take to balance this tailsitter

Lars
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi all

It's a tragedy that Penny's original pics went for a Burton... they could have been a real heads up for what to expect. - but the new ones make a good advert for filler! I thought I was looking at a short-run kit for a moment! I've seen this kit built-up, but only at 50 yards! LOL!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this build goes, Lars - it's not so much the gaps that have me interested, but the "lovely" sink marks that are clear in your pics...

I'll stay tuned All the best

Rowan
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 02:55 PM UTC
Hi
Thank Rowan for dose kind worlds. In 50 yards, this one going to be even farther away LOL.
The lovely sinkmarks goes all over the top wing around the flaps area is. Some smaller marks around the engine.

What’s to do about it? Leave it as it is or do something about it, that’s the question.
I’m afraid I’ll have to paint the whole plane and lightly block sand it to find the smaller sinkmarks, I think there is more on this one.

I have an old polishing kit from Millennium with sanding papers up to12000 grit, so this will only take away the paint and nothing more. Then it’s the rivets, it’s just to remake them after the puttyjob. Model design construction sells a rivet tool, planning to order this for another big work

Yes it’s a 1/32 Harvard in vacuum from Velocette. On the pics it’s that one behind that old Heller 72-scale :-)
I’m still struggling to get the covered engine in the nacelle, so more pics is coming up here soon guys, and I’ll going to take some comparison pics of that old Revell P-38.
Never told you this would be a quick job,just a sidestep from the early birds for a moment
Until next time

Lars
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What’s to do about it? Leave it as it is or do something about it, that’s the question.

Hi Lars

It's a tricky one isn't it! I'd probably use "Supafilla" (Cyano mixed with talcum powder) because it's so quick and easy to sand and feathers in so well, but if you go for a natural metal finish it's really going to highlight any repair work, so careful polishing is the order of the day. I found the foam backed sanders from MasterCasters particularly good for leveling and polishing surfaces. However you tackle the joints and sinkage, replacing all the rivet detail is going to be fun...

All the best

Rowan

Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi
Yes I think it’s going to be NMF and D-daystripes. The overall finish is the hardest part on this one. Supafilla" (Cyano mixed with talcum powder) sounds like a messy deal to me, never try that one, but thanks for the tips. I’m more of a Milliput worker.
The first mighty Allison is together now.

This one going in without any open panels, so no extra detailing here. There are some bits of caution on the engine if you want it to fit inside.

First thing is to cut the two pipes (parts number 8, 11)in the end were they curve under the engine in to the oilpan, cut of one millimetre otherwise they wouldn’t let mount to be that tight.

The second area that has to be corrected is a Trumpeter thing witch I have no idea what to call, so I´ve marked it with a blue and red pen for you. This piece is build up from 4 part and it’s get to thick so you have to sand it down and to get a god fit inside the fuselage.

Then I´ve just had to borrow that engine to se it on the other side.

This is looking
until next update
Lars
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Time for a little update

No problems with the main wheelbay.

the second engine is build, and I´ve started to paint it. Pics on the engine comes later.

Have started to detail up the main bays with eduards undercarriage set 32 134 and some thin plasticard to simulate the rivets on the inside.The rivets are made with Hasegawas rivet wheel.

Until next update feel free to comment
cheers
Lars
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:41 PM UTC
Looking great Lars! Can't wait to see more.....
 _GOTOTOP